Thread: Aus Kunst Stoff Gemacht.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aus Kunst Stoff Gemacht.

This summer, I defected from metal work and, seduced by Bakelite pieces from the nineteen twenties and thirties, bought in 3mm sheets of coloured Perspex to see whether I could do something similar.

Much of the cutting was made easier using saw blades intended for wood, with more widely spaced teeth and, where glue was necessary, I used gel formula superglue spread thinly and clamped or weighted down.

If I were going to do this long term, I would have to change to a dedicated adhesive, such as Tensol, as those 3g dispensers of superglue don’t go very far. The downside would be a much longer setting time.

The work was still quite demanding, as the pieces had to fit together as closely as possible. The results are variable, but I thought you might like to see them. In the end, they are just well…plastic and do not really repay the time spent.

I think the German term Kunst Stoff might add a little more dignity.

I am offering the results to family and friends as emblems to hang from sports bags and backpacks.
    My first picture shows some of the tools used, including my mini light box to check the fit.
    Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ae1 Tools for Acrylic.jpg   A1 Grace Jones.jpg   A2 Flapper.jpg  

Default Aus Kunst Stoff Gemacht. (continued)

I have continued here to accommodate all the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A3 Fire Bellied Toad.jpg   A4 Black Cat.jpg   A5 Penguin.jpg   A6 Polar Bear.jpg  

Plastic can be fantastic when used in an honest way. Particularly like your polar bear and flapper.

I love the colours and results you got from it Dennis. The flapper, penguin and polar bear are my favourites.

Thanks for the tip on the glue you used. I've just made some guides for a project I'm working on in perspex and I'll get some Tensol for the spares I'm going to make.
    Jules

Very nice! It's always good to flex your artistic muscles and it must have been fun to work in colour!

Thank you Sheena, Jules and Deb. I have a few more things to make before i return to he fold. I will sow them soon. Dennis.