Thread: making a cast from a stone engraving

Default making a cast from a stone engraving

Hi all,
    A friend has asked me to make a silver pendant of a shape that has been carved into a very old stone wall (about 3 x 1.5cms). My thoughts are to somehow make a mould from the original carving, but I have no idea how to do this! I'd like to keep the texture of the stone on the pendant as well if that would be possible...anyone got any ideas? Additionally, if some kind of mould strategy would work whether there is a way of then making the whole thing smaller? I'd appreciate any help, I'm relatively new to jewellery making as well so I'm completely stuck on this one! Thanks all, this forum is endlessly helpful!

There are some 2 part rubber putties that can be used to make moulds directly; I think Siligum was one of the available ones. You'd just need to make sure it didn't stick to the stone (and it might be a pest to clean again too), then once it has set you could pour (casting) wax into it.
    As for making it smaller... Scan and 3D print, carve in wax from the original or I suppose you could get into a cycle of make a mould, have a wax cast, make a mould from the new cast - but I think the scan & print option would be less aggravating.

To stop the putty sticking, brush clean of dust and then brush with an old toothbrush and Vaseline, so that it is sparsely but evenly coated. Then hope no one objects. Dennis.

Depending on the complexity of the carving you could photograph it then import the picture into cad and copy it and produce a 3d model then have that milled or 3d printed and cast. You could sale to what ever size you want then

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Depending on the complexity of the carving you could photograph it then import the picture into cad
    Hmm. Good point - strong side lighting (from different angles) & you'd pick up most of what's needed.