Thread: Ring Calculation

Default Ring Calculation

So sorry. I'm amending this post as I've just been told the answer, so please ignore. Not sure how to delete this thread.

Sue x
    Last edited by Susie; 08-08-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Hi Susie,
    Ring sizing is a subject clue to everyone's heart. Maybe if you posted your question here, you would get more than one answer. For instance, you could use this calculator, but you must enter the UK size as an upper case letter:

http://mordent.com/toolsapps/

However if you need to cut or file the ends to make them meet well, bear in mind to start with the blank with a little to spare, as every mm removed will reduce it by about one UK size. Dennis.

Hi Dennis
    thanks so much for the reply. I wanted to make a thick ring (not for the finger but for part of a bracelet) and it didn't fall within the A-Z uk ring size chart, but I realised that if I've got the inside diameter, I could work out the starting length from there. Inside diameter + thickness of metal x 3.14. That's right isn't it?
    Sue

Yes, that's right, but with a large diameter such as a bracelet or bangle, the measurement is not as critical, and a 1or2 mm would hardly be noticed.
    Good luck with making it, and hopefully show and tell here. Regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis