Thread: Chain size

Default Chain size

In your expert opinions what weight and style of chain is best suited for this type of pendantr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chains ate very much a personal choice and if you are new to chains, a sample order of four or five minimum lengths (100mmI think) form Cooksons website would be a good investment. I would avoid snake though, because they kink irreversibly.

This looks looks a heavy(ish) pendant and i would probably go for a curb chain. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. A good idea to get some samples, not only for myself but for people to choose from.
    David (ruedeleglise)

Not knowing the size of the pendants but given they are quite industrial I like what you’ve put it on and quite like using heavier leather or pvc necklets. It all depends on the weight of the pendant and whether you want it to sit more rigidly in place or coming down to a v on a chain and how the chain forms a shape with the weight of the pendant

When I make 12 gauge lockets/pendants I normally supply a heavy chain (app 3mm) or as you have shown a leather thong, I make mine from scratch so they may be weigh a bit more,
    if the recipient is going to wear the pendant while actually out shooting it needs to be able to handle a bit of rough treatment.
    Last edited by china; 04-08-2019 at 03:08 PM.

I supply just the pendants. No chain. I sell many different chains separately. Most people have a wardrobe of chains. Selling just the pendant on its own keeps the price sharp too
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

It depends too on the design of the bail, most of mine wouldn’t be large enough to change the chain after fitting a jump ring unless the customer asks. I only have one who likes to mix and match her chains and lengths to suit her clothes so I have to do some alterations and solder on an oval ring

Wonderful! That’s the value of this forum. You get different views. Thank you all.