Thread: Using sentimental 9ct gold

Default Using sentimental 9ct gold

Hello all - I wonder if I could pick your collective brains, please?

I'm about to take on a commission for a simple pendant to be made, for sentimental reasons, from 2 x 9ct rings (hallmarked and acid tested) that my customer has inherited. I don't work with gold but would like to start and am keen to push myself out of my comfort zone now and then!

The customer is fully aware that re-using metal has its pitfalls and isn't always recommended but would still like to go ahead. I'm now at the stage of pricing the job and seem to remember reading that it's best to add some fresh gold to the mix when melting down old metal in order to maintain the carat/purity. If this is the case (and not something that I've imagined!) what ratio of old to new is recommended and should it be the same carat, or higher?

I've spent hours online reading up on this today and can't seem to find a definitive answer!

When casting you try to mix 50%new 50% old but I have used all old metal and been successful and had no problem with hallmarking. Just don't overheat the metal

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    When casting you try to mix 50%new 50% old but I have used all old metal and been successful and had no problem with hallmarking. Just don't overheat the metal
    Thanks Josef! Would you recommend using the same carat of new gold to the old?

Yes the colour is not so important but will change for example if you mix white and yellow you will get light yellow etc. The carat should be the same. People add higher carat gold if they are worried about not meeting assay but as long as the items are hallmarked with a UK hallmark, Ive not had a problem.

I rarely bother and have never had an issue with hallmarking.