Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye protection when soldering platinum?

Default Eye protection when soldering platinum?

Hi there
    Can anyone recommend preferably from the UK eye protection glasses when soldering platinum?
    I wear my Optivisor and glasses all day but know before I start soldering platinum I need special dark glasses and can’t see them in cooksons ?
    Thank you if anyone an help 🙂

Hundreds of options on Google

Thanks China for replying , I agree there is but the last pair I bought were rubbish and just wondered if anyone had a pair they liked and could recommend.

I bought mine from my welding supplier; they're the same ones I use for plasma cutting. I'll check the makes later.

The problem is that just because goggles are very dark, they don't necessarily protect against harmful radiation.
    In the US, suitable goggles are graded#10.
    I have spent some time trying to find a UK standard, gone around in circles and been unable to discover which standard to buy.
    Luckily I don't have to solder platinum. Dennis

As said above go to a reputable welding supply, on the rare occasion that I solder platinum, I use my oxy welding googles they comply with the Australian standard, I believe they are a shade 5, I can check tomorrow if you like

Thanks you any advice would be much appreciated, I noticed on a old thread about platinum mention of

an extremely comprehensive pdf that we put together with Johnson Matthey concerning everything you need to know about working with platinum. Does anyone out there have this?
    Thanks again

Steve LAO has long retired, but the pdf will be at he London Assay Office. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis
    I’m beginning to think why did I ever agree to this repair job?
    Last edited by Goldfish; 26-07-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Can I suggest that a repair job isn't an ideal way to cut your teeth on platinum techniques? It is a bit different in its handling - I have separate tooling for it (including soldering surfaces and peg) to avoid contamination. And a laser welder, which makes life easier - unless the platinum is contaminated, which can make things very awkward.