Thread: Casting some solid silver ear studs - finishing the backs as part of the design...

Lightbulb Casting some solid silver ear studs - finishing the backs as part of the design...

Evening all!

I have been asked to make some earrings in the form of studs with solid parts front and back. I will (hopefully!) be making a model then casting in cuttlefish to create texture they have requested.
    They have asked for a design similar to the picture attached where the back of the stud will also be the closure to the stud in replace of an ear scroll / nut that I would usually use.

Can anyone offer any advice/ experience as to how I can achieve the most secure closure. I'm trying to get my toddler induced sleep deprived brain to work out how to create a closure within the back?!

Thanks in advance!

Maria
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190702_104800.jpg   il_570xN.1097170983_8pl6.jpg  

I presume that the earlobe goes between the parts and the longer piece is behind and has a spring loaded gripping device attached.

The spring would be ruined by soldering, but might possibly survive welding.

One problem I can see is how to keep the hook shapes aligned in use.

I have tried in the past to make something double sided like that, but the result was time consuming, clumsy, and unlikely to grip for long.
    The only way by hand might be to have a long post and push a nut (possibly a plastic filled one) onto the end after fitting to the ear.

Conclusion: it's not the baby. Even King Canute would struggle to make it. Dennis.

I have now made a sketch, for a simplified construction. Hope this will work for you. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CPC081.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have now made a sketch, for a simplified construction. Hope this will work for you. Dennis.
    thank you so much for your time Dennis!
    That's really helpful and appreciated.

I'd thought of trying to drill a hole for the fixing and trying to get some sort of plastic or tension section inside but like you say a little clumsy and labour intensive (and stressful!).
    I had the same idea in mind of leaving a section for a 'bullet clutch' nut as pictured above to push up to the back piece. I can put it to her and see what she thinks.
    I haven't drawn up the quote yet so tempted to say get the ones you liked and I'll put a matt finish on them if they won't! Too polished for her taste.

I did a quick carving out of some wooden dowel last night and feel it may work nicely to cast them in the cuttlefish so might give it a go anyway!

Maria

Thank you for you feedback, Maria.
    Sometimes it just needs a few words from a fellow sufferer.
    Ha ha, but if you offer to re-work the surface, make sure they are solid, not plated.
    Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-07-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Yes I've already covered that nightmare scenario in my head!
    Thanks again.
    Maria