Thread: Possible shortcut (ish)

Default Possible shortcut (ish)

Erm, further to my latest post in show and tell, I’m just wondering if anyone has used one of those huge cupola and punch things to make a bowl shape? And is it possible to do it just by whacking it with a mallet, like you would in a little doming block - or do you need something beefier to do it with. I’m hoping this would be a super quick way to achieve the same result but without all the forming/planishing over a stake, as I don’t have the time now to start again.

I bought a relatively inexpensive jewellers cupola set on E bay to make two walking stick heads at home, using 60mm discs marked out with dividers and cut from 0.7mm silver sheet.

The disks had to be gradually formed on the punch (set in a vice), using a ball ended hammer and then perfected in the bowl shaped block, with lots of annealing in between, and fluxing to limit firescale.

So the answer is the disks are too stiff to form in the block from the start, but can be finished in it. You also need to use a metal hammer to overcome the resistance of the silver and will end up with a hammered finish.

I did not use a polishing lathe, but ended by brushing the pieces with a wet and soapy brass brush, followed by Silvo and a cloth. Dennis.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291223690586
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stc 1.jpg   Stc 3.jpg   Stc 2.jpg   Stc4.jpg  

Your canes are very dapper and elegant Dennis.
    Thanks for the info - from what you’ve said I don’t think the cupola set would save me much time. I have to move on from thinking of having another go for now, as I have the earrings to make for the bridesmaids, so I guess i’ll have to revisit bowls another time.
    The cupola might come in useful, but the metal would be maybe 1mm to 1.2mm thick, and the disc about 10cm diameter - so I’d be doing a lot of the shaping on a sandbag - the cupola might save a bit of time in fine tuning at the end though.
    Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply, I’ve been resurrecting the bowl as best I can, and making a start on the bridesmaids earrings.
    Sue