Thread: Foredom pendant advice

Default Foredom pendant advice

I’m looking to buy a foredom and really want to use the hammer handheld flex shaft as well as for polishing.
    Can anyone tell me if I can fit a tabletop control and use the hammer shaft at a controlled lower speed. Will this work? Just trying to limit my initial spend as want the flexibility to do both stone setting and polishing. Also a bit limited for space.
    Appreciate your advice for a relative newbie

You can - it's Foredom's recommended way of running both the hammer handpiece & the reciprocating power carving handpiece. However, I'd not want to try to use the tabletop control for stone setting - having both hands on the work and foot control is IMO essential.

FWIW, I run the hammer & power carver off the foot control, I just don't stand on the pedal too much... If you weren't aware, both reciprocating handpieces don't actually engage until there's some back-pressure on the bit, so they can be ticking away with the motor running but don't strike until you press it down.

I have the slower one for the hammer handpiece and burrs now but used the standard one for both for years with no problems.
    As Peter says, just don't put your foot down too much.

On a slightly different point on the foot pedal, anyone who can use a sewing machine will find it easy to control the speed of the foot pedal on a foredom

As said d above it just takes a bit of practice to learn not to be a leadfoot I have two Foredom's they are both high speed units,( foot controls ) one has the hammer piece on it all the time
    I have not managed to it kill yet

I've just seen the Foredom SR pendant motor for sale on Cooksons. I'm guessing that this one would be ok for the hammer hand piece. Is the SR model the standard one?
    I'm looking to buy the SR pendant motor with quick release and also the hammer handpiece.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    I've just seen the Foredom SR pendant motor for sale on Cooksons. I'm guessing that this one would be ok for the hammer hand piece. Is the SR model the standard one?
    I'm looking to buy the SR pendant motor with quick release and also the hammer handpiece.
    Thank you
    Did you ever find out?
    Regards
    Sara

The hammer handpiece will fit all the pendant motors, just have to be aware to restrict the speed if using a SR rather than the speed limited LX