Thread: Demi Perles Inalterables

Question Demi Perles Inalterables

Hi all
    I have been given by a friend a quantity of Demi perles inalterables. Her father was a jeweller in London and died a few years ago aged 80+ so will have been in business from the fifties onwards. I have researched Demi perles on line and they seem to be a bit like rhinestones that you stick on. However, these particular perles are minute - like grains of sand various sizes. My friend’s father used to make regalia for special occasions and I am wondering whether they would have been used there. I should be very grateful for any words of wisdom, including if I can use them. I am very much a beginner and the friend has asked that I make something (anything) for her to keep. I am at a total loss. Thanks very much!

Hi Diana,
    If you have callipers, you could post the measurement, but as a rule of thumb, you will not successfully set, or glue an individual stone or pearl smaller than 1.5mm, with out the help of a microscope.
    Alternatives are to thinly spread an adhesive onto a surface, or part of it and dust them on, for decoration.
    You can also put some into a pendant in the shape of a decorative tube or container with a lid, screwed riveted, or glued, to wear on a necklace. Dennis.

Many thanks for your reply, Dennis. I will have a go at dusting them on something, I think. Do you have any idea what they would have been used for and would they be of any use to anyone today? I would gladly give them away if they are of any use currently. They are in packets of 5000 wrapped in brown paper just saying Demi perles inalterables, France. They are all cream, I imagine real pearl, tiny little domes in various sizes.

Hi. I just spotted this. Do you think they are real pearls? Can you post a photo?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk