Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prompted by Dennis

Default Prompted by Dennis

Prompted by Dennis’s comments re how quiet the forum is, I’m posting this unfinished piece. I haven’t made/completed anything for such a long time, but I’ve got quite a way with this one. My daughter is getting married in September and I’m secretly making this little bowl which is going to be hallmarked so it will always have the year of the wedding on it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	596C596B-ABBB-4268-84B0-40A28AFB5FEE.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	12053
    Hoping I don’t mess it up in the final stages!

This will be family heirloom. You should be proud, Sue.

Thank you Dennis,
    I’m close to finishing it now, it’s been a steep learning curve and I think my arms might drop off from all the hammering! I’ll post a pic when it’s finished.

What a lovely thing to make for her, it's beautiful.

It's really beautiful and such a lovely wedding gift, one to be treasured forever.

Thank you both,
    it’s not quite finished yet, but at least the foot is on now. I need to give it a good polish and then i’ll Post another pic of it finished. It’s far from perfect, but I’ve learnt a lot (such as make sure you have the right tools for the job, and it’s best not to run before you can walk)! Despite its flaws - terrifyingly thin in places, slightly wonky foot, a little bit lumpy/bumpy still and a horrid rim that has appeared on the inside of the bowl where the foot is attached. regardless of these things, I’m still pretty chuffed with how it’s turned out overall, and as for the flaws - well, at least they’ll know it’s handmade! ��

Your bowl is a thing of beauty and what a wonderful surprise Joella and something to be truly treasured. Making new things is always a challenge, but as you said you learn so much in the process. How lucky are we to make things with our hands eh!
    Jules

It's an amazing piece. Can't imagine how long it must have taken! Can't wait to see the finished article

OH BOTHER!!! (And other words, that are not printable)
    I was so close, almost there - just needed to use the polishing motor.......
    Aaaaaarrgh! Must have lost concentration for a split second, or just tilted the bowl a little too far, and with that it was gone - snatched by the machine and spat out again, all squished and dented and scratched.
    My lovely tutor managed to get it bowl shaped again, but I can’t get all of the dents completely out, it’s just not good enough for a wedding present now
    Also, I had to cut a damaged bit off the end of the foot and it’s not really in proportion now.
    I always mess up right at the end.
    Off to sulk with myself for the evening now!