Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Poor old Forum.

True, although they can always click on new posts at the top of the forum.
    Mind you Ive noticed a lot of this type of forum seem to have gone quiet these days.

Facebook is a lot more visual. My phone often glitches when I try to open pictures in the forum.

I think faceache has done a lot of damage to all of these more traditional forums, which is a great shame as they hold a wealth of information, and are much more based on a q&a format (useful) rather than a 'look at me' style, which I find tiresome and too fast moving - I don't use FB at all, but have noticed that people using it seem to have trouble finding archive information and end up repeating things endlessly. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

I do agree that it's harder to add pictures quickly and intuitively, and I think that's where the newer formats win - though it seems that instagram is the main medium for just about everything now - with barely any words at all.

I feel it’s not so much that it’s difficult to find archived info on fb but that people just don’t even bother to read through a post so are quite happy to ask a question again without looking for a previous response. I’ve searched for things and it’s actually quite easy, people have just become really lazy. I wonder if it’s bcause people mostly use their phones so it’s harder to follow, I wouldn’t know as mine is rarely switched on! This is a bit clunky and a lot of recent posts just seem to disappear.

Hmm,
    My feeling is that these things go in cycles, and the forum is loosing out to facebook at present.
    Facebook and the forum are very different things, here on the forum, answers to requests for advice tend to be thought out and comprehensive in their response. The wealth of experience and wisdom is a very valuable asset.
    Facebook, on the whole, tends to be more geared towards instant gratification via ‘likes’ etc, although there are of course exceptions, the help on offer is not in depth.
    I wish I knew what the answer was, I seem to remember at least one post on here that ran and ran, it was so useful, I think it was a question about stone setting - about 11 pages worth! Very helpful, I followed it avidly. That would never happen on fb - but I’m preaching to the converted, it’s how to get all those fb people to come here and give it a go - without the reward of instant gratification in the form of ‘likes’ and inane content free responses. Surely people will tire of it, and return to the more sustaining forum - generally, it’s like comparing a packet of crisps to a 3 course meal!
    All I can think of is for those of us who do use Facebook, to suggest the forum to people on it whenever the opportunity arises. The problem is that so many people use Facebook for so many things, so they are already there anyway, so it’s sort of delivered straight to them on a silver platter - they don’t have to go to it, it comes to them. What we really need is an already well established Facebook page to direct people to the forum. I’d suggest gojd, but they have their own forum now.

Also, ahem, not sure how to put this delicately - but, not wishing to annoy or offend anyone, but, as people are on fb anyway for so many things, they won’t just leave it if someone is a bit say, snippy, judgemental or dismissive etc - but the forum is another matter - people just wont come back, because they don’t have myriad other reasons for being here. (I know, I can feel all the eye rolls and sighs - and the forum is a very friendly and hugely supportive community of people), but it’s worth remembering that if we want the forum to survive, we don’t have the luxury of fb, we can’t afford to alienate people. ......I hope I haven’t alienated anyone with my last comment
    Sue

People are so touchy these days, i guarantee three or four members have gone to get counselling as a result of your comments, Sue. Never mind. they will emerge all the stronger for it. Dennis.

I'm not a fan of Facebook either; I've seen the damage it can do to young people and others, who feel much more isolated and depressed as a result of people posting piccies of their 'perfect' lives etc. They think they have to look 'perfect' or they won't make any friends. Yes, they make it easy for people to keep on using it, but I don't think that's a good thing.

I've been on this forum from the start and have learnt an enormous amount of information from both professionals and amateurs alike and it would be a great shame if it were to get even quieter, or be shut down. I think the few that are still posting are doing a fabulous job and should be applauded for keeping it going.

We really all have to do our bit asking and replying to questions, posting pics of stuff we are doing etc. The other thing is that the reduction of spammers might help, as we've had a few more of them in the last few months, especially replying to really old posts, with yet another silly question/comment.
    Jules

Aw but Jules I quite like spammers for a bit of baiting. The problem I find occasionally is that I’m not sure whether it’s a spammer or someone who is particularly thick so I ignore them for a wee while and then Peter spoils it by removing them before we have some fun. Fun with Spam ( sounds like a children’s book) used to be a bit of a pastime on a quiet day

I agree Sue with your well thought out post although you know nobody would have read past the first couple of lines if it was on FB LOL.
    Im not sure about the being snippy bit though, we do need a bit of entertainment now and again and it does only seem to happen when its warranted.
    Looking forward to Fun With Spam

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Aw but Jules I quite like spammers for a bit of baiting. The problem I find occasionally is that I’m not sure whether it’s a spammer or someone who is particularly thick so I ignore them for a wee while and then Peter spoils it by removing them before we have some fun. Fun with Spam ( sounds like a children’s book) used to be a bit of a pastime on a quiet day
    I have many recipes using Spam if that's needed. A particular favourite is Spam musubi, which munges together different cultures quite impressively.

I tend to look at the diction used by spammers - there's a small number of identical patterns they use. Posting 5 or 6 random requotes on old threads is no challenge; actually involving themselves tends to make me pause even if I'm absolutely certain they are as I suspect.