Thread: Sweat soldering very thing sheet.

Default Sweat soldering very thing sheet.

Hi,

I have a piece to make that involves inlaying a tiny little piece of copper in silver, about 5mm by 2.5mm and it ideally needs to be about 0.3 mm thick (I usually use 0.5 mm thick copper for the pieces I have sweat soldered and a slightly bigger piece). The size of the overall piece is much bigger about 2.5 cm and will need all grades of solder. Am I going to risk melting the copper piece with it being so thin and small? I can go to .5mm copper if I need to, just would prefer there not be be too much of a lip where the copper if going.

Thanks,

Karen
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 28-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Hi Karen,
    I think the answer is that if you can close the hole on your torch a little, so that the flame is not so fierce, you will succeed.
    Problems occur when you use a flame with a sharp blue pointy flame and forget to move it around.
    It also helps to solder in semi darkness, so that you can see when any area gets too hot. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you very much. I was worried about giving it a go - as there is quite a lot of work in the piece and didn't want to do it if it was something I was just going to melt, but you have reassured me that it's possible. Thanks for the tips, certainly going to give it a go anyway.

Karen