Thread: Counter enamel

Default Counter enamel

Hi everyone. I’ve been learning how to torch fire enamel recently. I am finding that by the time I finish a piece, the back, where the counter enamel is, is no longer pleasing to the eye. It has a patchy dull brown look to it. Is there any way to improve the appearance of the counter enamel on their back of a piece without compromising the finished front?
    I do not have a kiln, just a butane torch.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi there,
    I have only ever experimented with enamelling and been on a short course. What I have learned is that the outcome is very uncertain, unless you can devote time to lots of experiments and take detailed notes.

Counter enamelling covers a multitude of methods, from using a mix of left overs, to using a dedicated opaque.

Torch firing is difficult to standardise, unless you always have your torch at the same setting, use a timer and preferably use reflected heat by improvising a kiln from bricks and aiming your torch at the walls rather than the piece.

Overheating the piece discolours the back. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s Improvised chamber for conserving heat.sh.jpg  

Without a doubt the enamel on the back has been overheated. Is it absolutely necessary to counter? It is usually used to stabilise a piece from buckling out of shape....but sometimes depending on the shape you can get away without. Or don't use direct heat on the piece...so make a mini oven.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by art925; 29-06-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Poor old Les