Thread: Fun with metal clay

Default Fun with metal clay

Well, metal clay is another new skill set to learn! But I'm loving carving my own texture plates with soft blocks and have been able to do a few more (little) pieces that nod towards my current inspirations Margaret & Frances MacDonald. The nature of metal clay and the way it shrinks mean I can make much smaller pieces than I would with metal and sheet, although I need more practice on the carving front. Of the pieces shown here I finally got around to adding some little metal clay pieces to traditionally smithed silver - still very simple but the addition of LoS has made the 4mm onyx stones really pop. All of these items have been torch fired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190614_182237152-01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	12042

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190622_180709960-01.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	12043 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190622_180243199-01.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	12044

So now I need to start playing more with combining smithing and clay and see what happens.

Deb

Some thing I have never ventured into, although you seem to have taken to it quite well they are nice pieces.

Thanks Bob. Metal clay is a bit of a contentious issue with some smiths but I think as an addition to other skills it's really freeing. Some things aren't so great, one of the things the tutor had me do was to make a piece that had metal clay connectors/jump rings, which to my eye (and I would suggest anyone else's) look clunky and unattractive. But with plentiful burnishing sterling can be soldered onto the fired clay pieces.

All sorts of new stuff. The first ones remind me of ancient coins. The patination is very colourful.
    I had an idea that you have been away on a course Deb? Dennis.

I'm glad that's what the first pics remind you of Dennis, that's the look I was going for, ancient artefacts.
    Yes I did go away on a course, a much needed break with learning how to use metal clay at the heart of it. I was meant to be doing some cookery classes too but once I got there decided I just wanted to play with jewellery and have someone else do all of the cooking for me!) It was a wise decision and one that my hosts were more than happy to accommodate.

These are so pretty - I love the texture/patterns on the disks particularly!

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    These are so pretty - I love the texture/patterns on the disks particularly!
    Thank you. I carved them into a soft carving block, a really addictive process. The photo doesn't really do them justice but that's a job for another day.