Thread: rolling mill help

Default rolling mill help

Hi,
    Are there any charts or information on say, rolling round to square, oval to nearly rectangular, or is it as I am doing, just take a stab at it, any help would be appreciated,
    Frank

No, no charts Frank, but if you get some copper wire and do various experiments you can write down the results.
    One of my favourite uses of the mill, is to roll down 1.00mm round wire to 0.50mm, anneal and stretch to straighten it. You will have useful stock of 2.5mm x 0.45mm bezel strip to fit most cabochons, without sawing and waste.

A good quick source of copper wire is a meter of heavy earthing cable from an electrical shop. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-06-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Default Thanks Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, no charts Frank, but if you get some copper wire and do various experiments you can write down the results.
    One of my favourite uses of the mill, is to roll down 1.00mm round wire to 0.50mm, anneal and stretch to straighten it. You will have useful stock of 2.5mm x 0.45mm bezel strip to fit most cabochons, without sawing and waste.

A good quick source of copper wire is a meter of heavy earthing cable from an electrical shop. Dennis.
    I must give that a go, I have been using 0.5 sheet, takes time and a little bit on the firm side, I find the stock 0.3 bezel strip a bit thin,
    all the best, Frank