Thread: Discount to give?

Default Discount to give?

Hi, is there rule or formula when giving discount to customer if the bulk order? eg small business ordering 20 lapel pins. should I give a precentage discount if so how much?

You can't give away any money, unless you have already prepared for that eventuality by having a higher markup. Then you can have a scale of discounts published in your price lists.
    Look at other suppliers, for instance Cookson, to have an idea of what they give for quantities. Dennis.

ok, Isee, thank you, mary og

I wouldn't give any discount till maybe 250 items. You still have to make the moulds etc but after that amount of items the moulds paid for its labour and materials to produce, you can offer the items a bit cheaper then

You need to ask yourself - are you setting up a scheme whereby all bulk purchases attract a discount? Then you set up a published plan and stick to that
    or
    are you wanting to discount to make this one-off deal with a price-sensitive hard bargaining customer? Then you make a discount to get the business
    or
    are you wanting to make a regular or new with a possibility of regular customer very happy? then you give this customer a discount or perk to make them feel special
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thart's fine if you are selling bought in stock. Not so much fun if you are a one person band and have to make it with you own two hands.
    Besides which you will be undercutting other jewellers who are trying to make a living from this. Dennis.

It depends whether it is going to cost you less to make in bulk and also whether your standard mark up allows for it.
    I find it a lot quicker to make several items the same at once personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thart's fine if you are selling bought in stock. Not so much fun if you are a one person band and have to make it with you own two hands.
    Besides which you will be undercutting other jewellers who are trying to make a living from this. Dennis.
    Not at all. all I sell is handmade in our workshop. Nothing bought in. Doesn't mean that if someone wanted 20 of an item I would not give them a price which was below 20 x list.
    Plus, while turnover is vanity, the opportunity to shift 20 x something in stock is the opportunity to get your money out.
    If you aren't nice to a bulk customer, someone else usually will be
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk