Thread: Help setting up bench

Default Help setting up bench

Hello, I am a complete beginner however I have a very clear vision what style of jewellery I would like to make, eventually I would like to be working with gold and stone setting.
    I have purchased most things, however I have a bit of money left to buy either a GRS benchmate or a Durston mini mill. My question is, which one should I get?
    I am trying to work out how often I will be rolling metal considering you can purchase most thicknesses of wire and sheet now.. perhaps a benchmate might be of more use for practicing stone setting?

I would appreciate any advice or feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A rolling mill will be in my opinion more versatile than the benchmate, the bench mate is a bit of a luxury, although in saying that if you are going to specialize in stone setting then one of the Benchmate systems
    may be more to your requirements, also a rolling mill can be used for much more than just rolling plate and wire and is almost a necessity if you wish to use up your own scrap.

Thank you! I’m a bit clueless so this is a great help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't want to keep ordering different gauges if you can make them yourself, from scrap and limited stock. You can also eke out a piece of metal that is just one or two mm short, or transform wires from round to square.
    Lastly once you have tried roll texturing the opportunities are endless. So I would go for a mill.

The Benchmate system really comes into its own if you once buy a microscope, but that might be way into the future.
    Remember your ideas will remain fluid over time, so dont invest in anything you don't really need for the project in hand.

Dennis.