Thread: Anyone have experience in making jewellery whilst pregnant?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone have experience in making jewellery whilst pregnant?

Hello, first time posting on here as I really need some advice. I am a self employed jewellery (2 years) and have recently found out I'm pregnant. I can't find much info online about safety precautions I should be taking. Can anyone give me any advice on this as I am slightly paranoid (first pregnancy!)
    At the moment I work mainly in silver, so soldering, pickling, finishing/polishing (with dremel and also barrel tumbler/electromagnetic). I have also been plating my own silver pieces in gold but have been advised by the company I buy the plating chemicals from that this is out of bounds so I have decided just to send away for plating now as I am not willing to take any risks.
    I have just bought a proper 3M mask (model 4277) and some safety gloves, should that cover me in terms of safety?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Have good ventilation when soldering.
    Don't eat or drink in your work space.
    Wash hands well on leaving. Best wishes, Dennis.

Finally got around to reading the small print on a syringe of solder paste the other day and noticed that it can be harmful to unborn children (and a few other things).

Ha ha, you've got me in stitches Sarah. That said, it tastes a lot better than Marmite. Dennis.

Well that is worry Dennis that means you have actually tasted it, did you have it with toast.
    On a serious note, not too many chemicals will enter through your skin, so if you wear your mask and follow the tips mentioned by Dennis you should be Ok

And congratulations
    Last edited by china; 02-10-2019 at 05:10 AM.