Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of new pieces.

Default Couple of new pieces.

Hi,

I was asked to do a little Wren silhouette for someone, after I did it a little Wren started appearing outside my window foraging and I rather fell in love with them so did another piece (the Wren isn't as detailed or accurate as the plain silhouette I did but needed to alter it slightly to fit the design). The photo is not great as it's too bright and my photographic skills are not great to start with. The branch is matte which can't really be seen in the photo.

I got a couple of different chains to try after advice before, trace and figaro, some people are still asking for curb instead but I quite like the simplicity of trace.

I also had the amazing experience of seeing a couple of otters playing in the wild a couple of weeks ago, so did a little otter piece. It's not finished and now that I have the macro on it can see a couple of areas that need a tidy (couldn't see it while working on it even with my magnifying glasses on). I was wondering about texturing it but any texturing I do is mostly with a hammer and fear that given the detail is very small that it will change the outline of the pierced area?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0395.jpg   PICT0386 (2).jpg  

Very nice Karen, you got the spirit of the animals just right. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Very nice Karen, you got the spirit of the animals just right. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis. Get to see lots of beautiful wildlife by the canal which is amazing. Currently sat with a teeny tiny Moore hen chick in my kitchen - has obviously got separated from Mum somehow, it was swimming along getting lower and lower in water, little head dipping, managed to get in the canal and grab it. No sign of Mum anywhere Poor little dot is very distressed! Waiting for rescue to get back to me now.

Anyway, the otter piece - do you mind if I ask, would I be right in thinking that if I texture with a hammer will it distort the profile? The otter is about 3-4mm wide and of course that's the biggest bit so other bits are much finer. I won't be able to get in there with files and reshape if I distort the shape texturing it. If it might work I'll give it a go, but if it's a definite silly idea I will just polish up and leave it.

No, the only tools that will texture without distorting your work are:
    1. A hammer handpiece.
    2. A Dremel engraver.
    3. A slightly bent ball burr. (heat just the neck and bend very slightly while dull red)
    4. A medium frosting wheel, Cookson 999 CCQ. Can moult and needs eye protection.
    Nos !-3 require a learning curve to give a workmanlike result.
    A frosting wheel is expensive, but will give a professional result if not run very fast.
    Practice on copper first. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I thought that would be the case. I had a specific texture in mind, but will have a play with the things you suggest. Though don't have a hammer hand piece (might be able to get access though). Need to do something to finish it off. I have managed to take another picture of the Wren piece this morning and it's a bit clearer picture which shows the contrast better and it has shown up a fault that I can't see with my glasses or my magnifying glasses, at all, so need to sort that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0416.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	12025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0416.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	12025
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0408.jpg  
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 04-06-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Yes, a picture shows up unwelcome faults, but on-line a piece can only be as good as the photograph.

I had meant to say that if I intend to use a texture I make up some stock before I begin, either by hammering, or more often by roll texturing with fabric or mesh. Then I can choose a section for the piece in hand and save the rest for later. Often some years later.

Two brooches below to show this. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 ml Modern London Brooch.jpg   Fish Brooch 3b.jpg  

They are beautiful pieces Dennis and such lovely textures too, especially love that little fish! I wasn't sure with the little otter piece how I would be able to add the texture first as I draw the design on the metal to cut it out and need to flat surface to do that, I struggle even tracing it on to draw the detail that small in the first place so worry that any texture would cause problems. Hmm, will have to get thinking cap on.

Don't know how I missed these yesterday - they're both lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, a picture shows up unwelcome faults, but on-line a piece can only be as good as the photograph.

I had meant to say that if I intend to use a texture I make up some stock before I begin, either by hammering, or more often by roll texturing with fabric or mesh. Then I can choose a section for the piece in hand and save the rest for later. Often some years later.

Two brooches below to show this. Dennis.
    Ver nice (again) Dennis.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Hi,

I was asked to do a little Wren silhouette for someone, after I did it a little Wren started appearing outside my window foraging and I rather fell in love with them so did another piece (the Wren isn't as detailed or accurate as the plain silhouette I did but needed to alter it slightly to fit the design). The photo is not great as it's too bright and my photographic skills are not great to start with. The branch is matte which can't really be seen in the photo.

I got a couple of different chains to try after advice before, trace and figaro, some people are still asking for curb instead but I quite like the simplicity of trace.

I also had the amazing experience of seeing a couple of otters playing in the wild a couple of weeks ago, so did a little otter piece. It's not finished and now that I have the macro on it can see a couple of areas that need a tidy (couldn't see it while working on it even with my magnifying glasses on). I was wondering about texturing it but any texturing I do is mostly with a hammer and fear that given the detail is very small that it will change the outline of the pierced area?

Thanks
    Lovely lines Animal (?) Nutty (?) Wrens are one of my favourites birds. They have areal character I think. Nick