Thread: Wax carving allergy?

Default Wax carving allergy?

I've made a few models in the past using wax with no problem. As of lately I've purchased some new waxes here in the US. As I started to use them I begun to notice a metallic taste and a clear nausea. I wonder if anyone had the same experience. The wax does not have any distinct smell but I am quite sure this reaction is caused by the wax. I wonder if there are different waxes as far as their chemical composition. The one I used in the past and bought many years ago do not seem to cause this reaction. Are there any wax that is least toxic? What color is less toxic? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by marcos9999; 02-06-2019 at 12:56 AM.

This forums members are mainly located in UK, so our experiences do not necessarily correspond. The most commonly available wax here is Ferris, usually blue, or green and no sensitivity to it has been reported on the forum.
    https://www.cooksongold.com/category...+carvingDennis

Dennis,

Thank you for bringing that up. I've checked the data sheet for Ferris waxes and did not find any chemical or possible allergen. But when checking other waxes I found they were not waxes but plastics such as Polyethylene; Ethylene Homopolymer; Ethene Polymer; Polyethylene Wax. I am allergic to some petroleum products for certain. Will buy Ferris now and try...
    Last edited by marcos9999; 02-06-2019 at 05:09 PM.