Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Materials for making a necklace for a pendant

Default Materials for making a necklace for a pendant

Hello.

I'm interested to know what options there are available for something that would last a long time of everyday use.

Currently I am using round leather, and would like to know if there is something else that would work too.

Naturally, metal would probably last the longest, but I don't think it will work well for me. I've used a rope chain before and it ended grinding the pendant loop, wearing it down. I could possibly use something to protect it but I also don't want to use silver in color, and gold would attract too much attention while traveling in poorer countries.

My thought was to try using hemp, to make a simple 3 strand braid, but I would imagine that it would pick up a lot of oils from the body and turn rather greasy.

I guess I could use leather again, but would like to know if there are other options out there.

Thanks!

I sometimes use Beadservice Crimp'n'Go cables, which are steel covered in plastic. They are inexpensive, easy to adjust to the required legth, and you can choose from many colour options. Dennis.
    http://beadservice.net/epages/c1cd2b...fee8b6636445f4

Is that the same as Beadalon Bead string wire? I already have some of those. If it's similar, it's rather on the thin side imo.

Quote Originally Posted by varga View Post
    Is that the same as Beadalon Bead string wire? I already have some of those. If it's similar, it's rather on the thin side imo.
    Now would I suggest something rather on the thin side? I ask you!

I have just measured it with callipers and it is 1.15mm in diameter. It is very versatile and can be used with home made findings too, as shown below. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ca Assorted Crimp n' Go Cables.jpg   ca Refurbished Necklace.jpg  

Oh, I see, that is thicker than regular string wire. The longest I see them is 20 inch, that may be too short for me. Also I'm a guy, so I don't know if something that is curved like that would suit me or the pendant itself . The pendant is a thin marquise in shape, about 2.6 inch long excluding the clasp.

I like the way that something like a chain or leather cord forms a V shape.

Currently looking for a US supplier with longer lengths, as shipping from UK is a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by varga View Post
    Oh, I see, that is thicker than regular string wire. The longest I see them is 20 inch, that may be too short for me. Also I'm a guy, so I don't know if something that is curved like that would suit me or the pendant itself . The pendant is a thin marquise in shape, about 2.6 inch long excluding the clasp.

I like the way that something like a chain or leather cord forms a V shape.

Currently looking for a US supplier with longer lengths, as shipping from UK is a bit steep.
    It helps to know that you aren't in the UK when we suggest suppliers, we are mostly U.K. based so will tell you who we shop from.
    Have you tried Rio Grande, they stock all sorts of great stuff that some of us buy from here when we can afford the postage? If you are looking for a v shape then you may just have to go with leather or a chain. You can also get pvc tubing in many colours with an easy connector. I'd try googling them from your end for stockists beside you
    Last edited by CJ57; 22-02-2017 at 06:07 PM.

I've pretty much stopped using leather (which deteriorates far too quickly for my liking) in favour of waxed cotton or linen cord, or so-called Korean cord, which last much longer and take a lot more abuse, including water damage without as many problems.

For me, suggestions for materials are more important than a supplier. Once I find something I want to try to use, I can find a place to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    waxed cotton or linen cord, or so-called Korean cord, which last much longer and take a lot more abuse
    Just for clarification, did you mean that the Korean cord lasts longer or all of the cords that you mentioned?

I haven't had any experience with waxed cord. The wax doesn't ware off or anything? I'm going to go to my local art shop to see what they got

yes, the Korean cord (which is usually polyester, but sometimes cotton) seems to last the longest.