Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting strip (NPY 009)

Default Setting strip (NPY 009)

I a thinking this is something that might be really use full, but how is setting strip used, and what for?

Best of all are the any example / tutorials out the, all I coul find was bezel strip

Julian

I too have been tempted by the sterling version of that strip, but like you I am unsure exactly how it is used. I am guessing that you cut however many of the settings you want from the strip, notch the prongs set your stone and push over the prongs, but having never been sure if that is the case I have not as yet tried.

A Well Kept Secret?
    The proud possessors of the CookBook have a little more insight into these, because they are more fully illustrated in the settings section. They all have bearers for round faceted stones and claws to retain them.

In the absence of any comment from Cookson, I hope they will forgive me for quoting their ‘Extra Info’:

These strips can be used to make up full and half eternity rings, hoop earrings or small sections can be inserted & set to decorate necklets & bracelets. Supplied in approximately 60mm lengths.
    Dennis.

Thanks Denis, trust me not to read the small print!

That said, lots of people, incluing the US, sell them, but I can find no referancees or examples. Secret indeed

Julian

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I made a half hoop ring in preparation for the course I went on. I used the silver version due to costs and mistakes that oft come with learning. Alas, I never got around to setting this one, but learned on a larger version. More input on is will have to wait for the required assay bits before I can do much more. I think I will be in trouble enough with the stones I have set in some of the pieces I have made that are going in the latest batch. Ooops!
    Last edited by Wallace; 08-05-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Having been prompted by this discussion I ordered some of the silver setting strip, which arrived today and I am impressed. Although the photos on the Cookson website are accurate, the fact that they are macro gives the impression the setting strip is a bit gauche. It is not, it is really very nice. I bought the one suitable for 3.5mm stones and ordered some appropriate czs to have a go, they have not arrived yet but I am looking forward to using this strip.

Looking forwards to hearing how you get on Kwant

Not very well I'm afraid Tabby. My stones arrived on Saturday and there seems to be no way that a 3.5mm stone will fit into the setting strip I have, and I have double checked item codes to make sure that what I ordered was for 3.5mm stones. I have been on the phone to Cookson and it appears there may have been an error in what was sent to me, but as they are currently out of stock they are unable to check this until the middle of June so for the moment things are on hold.

I keep a large set of twist drills because, although they are slightly undersized, the shanks have many uses including checking the size of any round aperture or hole (I also use them as standard mandrels for bezels and for wriggling in bezels which have accidentally become distorted).

In this case no doubt, the strips have been mislabelled. Sorry to hear you are stuck at the moment Kwant:maybe all this talk on the forum caused a spurt in sales.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    A Well Kept Secret?
    The proud possessors of the CookBook have a little more insight into these, because they are more fully illustrated in the settings section. They all have bearers for round faceted stones and claws to retain them.

In the absence of any comment from Cookson, I hope they will forgive me for quoting their ‘Extra Info’:

These strips can be used to make up full and half eternity rings, hoop earrings or small sections can be inserted & set to decorate necklets & bracelets. Supplied in approximately 60mm lengths.
    Dennis.
    Thanks for that Dennis- quicker than me!

Apologies Julian there isn't as much info on the website, I am going to copy the extra info onto the online products to help.