Thread: National Geographic Rock Tumbler

Question National Geographic Rock Tumbler

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has used this or has any thoughts on this tumbler? I'm considering it mainly because of the price (it's on special) and the fact that is has some degree of sound-dulling due to the rubber within the barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/NATIONAL-GEOG...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

In the questions section, it is advised to not use it for jewellery (despite the images showing that you can), however I would not be using the grit they supply and would be using shot.

I'd have to import it so I would like to be a bit more sure about the purchase and whether or not it's usable for jewellery purposes (polishing prior to setting). I would think so? But I have never tumbled so I don't know.

Thank you in advance!

Hello Anne. Not the sort of thing I would buy, but might be OK. You will have seen that over the years members have used older models of National Geographic tumblers quite successfully. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 29-03-2023 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hello Anne. Not the sort of thing I would buy, but might be OK. You will have seen that over the years members have used older models of National Geographic tumblers quite successfully. Dennis.
    Thanks very much for your response! The only one available where I live that is in my price range I hear is very noisy, so I'm hoping something like this would be a bit better!

I have a slightly different version of it. Older maybe - I bought it 3 years ago.

Mine has a black rubber barrel and adjustable speed.

I use quality stainless steel shot on the slowest setting and works absolutely brilliantly. No leaking and it's reliable and the noise level is fine even if I'm working in the same room.

Ultimately they are all a barrel that rotates on a motor - if I was turning out lots of jewellery then I'd probably invest in a "proper" tumbler but at the moment it suits me just fine for a couple of hours tumbling a week.

The first tumbler I used was an older version of one of these. Worked a treat and I still have it to use ceramic media in for a matte finish. One of these will work fine, just need to use stainless steel shot from somewhere like Proops, I use the round shot.
    Last edited by misspond; 01-04-2023 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling mistake