Thread: advice on slate please

Default advice on slate please

Hiya, i have a piece of reclaimed slate tile of an old house (1800's, house that is) tile is at least 40 years old, Question is :-) i'd like to make something with it, say a pendant, do you think the slate would be ok to use and what would be the best thing to seal it with, wouldn't want to cause anyone an itchy rash

Off to watch a film but will be back tonight just incase there's anyone around that can advise me, thanking you muchly :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

You can set it with a metal back and a few claws, or frame it with a rim like a bezel. If the rim fits well, you need not even set it, but just use a few dabs of epoxi (Araldite).

Alternatively you can laquer the back with a clear waterproof spray, such as for instance used for cars, or a brushing laquer. Clear nail varnish springs to mind. There really is no limit to the options.

I take it you are using it for sentimental reasons?

Hi Dennis

Thanks, yes it's for family, with house being sold i'd like to make a nice wearable keepsake, I just need to make sure if it needed protecting/sealing what would be best, i did wonder about nail varnish but also wondered if there was a special jewellery sealant type thing lol
    I will also be using any spares for making a few bits for sale too :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

You can wax slate so I would imagine you could use Renaissance Wax which will seal it and also bring up it's colour http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141148215156

A friend of mind in Norway uses just beeswax on her slate jewellery, it looks really lush with the slight wet look.
    Poor old Les

I love slate & silver. I've got some jewellery lacquer (can't remember name of it, not Rustins, not Midas, will look when in studio next on Tues), it is great - but takes a long time to dry and can add a shine to things (which isn't always what you want) but imagine it might be nice on slate.
    ETA: Found it! http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/prote...ating-19-c.asp

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    A friend of mind in Norway uses just beeswax on her slate jewellery, it looks really lush with the slight wet look.
    That sounds better. Many polishes, including Renaissance Wax and some which are said to contain beeswax, have an unpleasant smell. None of my recipients likes to smell of sump oil, even for a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I love slate & silver. I've got some jewellery lacquer (can't remember name of it, not Rustins, not Midas, will look when in studio next on Tues), it is great - but takes a long time to dry and can add a shine to things (which isn't always what you want) but imagine it might be nice on slate.
    ETA: Found it! http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/prote...ating-19-c.asp
    was going to suggest Everbrite. I seem to have done some copper work by accident so was looking for something to prevent tarnish and this came up. Would be interested to know .. does it give a wet look to the treated slate?

On oxidised silver it makes it look darker and shiny(where it was matte). I used it on a stone (a commission required me to shape a small rock taken from a glacier) and it made it semi-shiny. I have got some slate I could test it on on tues. Will photo it for you

I've found that the smell from Renaissance wax disappears once it's on, I use it on oxidised silver to give it a sheen. Have also used it on the slate hearth and once buffed up the smell was gone