Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps

That's sort of what I do Shaun but on such a long length, there's always a bit that you take your eye off for a second and it balls up. I can't pull it taut though, which is why it's such a problem.

The sequence for making is - hammer 16cm x 3cm silver sheet. Bend some .8 gold wire into a wiggly line and flatten with flatting press. Solder wire down the middle of the sheet. Polish back of sheet. Form into anticlastic shape with hydraulic press. File edges, polish and voila!

Quote Originally Posted by FloWolF View Post
    Carole - I can't visualise the exact shape of the bangle/flat you have there, but for some similar instances how's about this:

Anneal and straighten the wire, and solder 'tack' one end into place keeping the wire flat against the surface with a clamp if needs be, then pull the wire taut and flat to the surface and do the other end the same way.

With both ends secured and any stubborn parts where the wire won't lay flat held down with a clamp, solder the rest of the wire in place starting in the middle and working towards each end one at a time.

Don't know if it would work for you but just a thought!

Shaun.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

must be my pain meds, but I read that as "file edges, polish and VODKA"

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    must be my pain meds, but I read that as "file edges, polish and VODKA"

Well if I had any vodka it would be all gone by now after the stress of these bangles Wallace. I've had to put off making them for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That's sort of what I do Shaun but on such a long length, there's always a bit that you take your eye off for a second and it balls up. I can't pull it taut though, which is why it's such a problem.

The sequence for making is - hammer 16cm x 3cm silver sheet. Bend some .8 gold wire into a wiggly line and flatten with flatting press. Solder wire down the middle of the sheet. Polish back of sheet. Form into anticlastic shape with hydraulic press. File edges, polish and voila!
    Cheers Carole sorry for not reading properly the first time - sounds to me like you better get making more of those camps then heheheh!

Cheers and VGL however you proceed in the end.

Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    Carole said the wire to be soldered needs to be wiggly not straight

And I read it that the wire was wiggly but needed it straight heheheh... some days I just don't get my meds. right ',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by FloWolF View Post
    And I read it that the wire was wiggly but needed it straight heheheh... some days I just don't get my meds. right ',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun.
    I'm always misreading stuff but I can't use meds as an excuse although since I've just turned 40 am I allowed to use "senior moment"?

Getting back to the original subject of titanium soldering clamps, Knew Concepts are now selling ready cut strips of titanium in packs of 10 strips for $20.
    See their page; http://knewconcepts.com/TitaniumClamps.php
    It is also possible that Cooksons will perhaps soon be stocking them as they are Knew Concepts agents.

James

Thanks James. Does anyone know, in the meantime, where you can buy titanium sheet in this country?

My experience with fine self closing tweezers is that the stainless steel ones keep their shape and tension when heated, while the titanium ones collapse and slacken off, once they glow red.This makes me reluctant to go for titanium clamps.

I am also a sucker for novelties, so bought one of the early Knew Concept saws, Which I gave up after six months or so as too much hassle. No offence to everyone here who still likes and uses them, but my conclusion was that you can either pierce, or not and changing saw frames won't help you. Dennis.

This lot have online ordering of small quantities:
    http://www.ti-shop.com/index.php/tit...r-1-sheet.html

Of course, if you knew someone who worked almost exclusively in Ti, they might be able to point you the right direction...

I've just been sawing some 1.5mm sheet to strips and it has been a complete pig. I suspect that what I'm working with is grade 5, and it's *really* unpleasant - blunts sawblades very quickly for one thing. In the end I used a hacksaw to slice it rather than piercing it. Shearing would be a much better bet if I can find a capable shear.