Thread: A New Use For Polymorph

Default A New Use For Polymorph

This week a kitchen oven bulb went out, and removing its cover I found it full of broken glass.

To unscrew the metal cap, my first though was to use pliers, but there was very little metal to grasp and visibility was very poor.
    After a struggle involving a torch and a mirror and a craned neck, it was time to re-think.

Next day, I made a pencil shaped piece of Polymorph, and when cooled, re-heated just the tip, and plunged it into the centre of the metal cap. Shortly it was cool enough to turn, and out it came bearing the offending metal.

One eye watering call-out fee saved, not to mention various patronising comments. Dennis.

Done similar with a large “dob” of blue tack and a glove to protect fingers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read since that some people have used a piece of potato, but it tends to break off inside the cap. Maybe a carrot?

Above all turn the current off first!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I've read since that some people have used a piece of potato, but it tends to break off inside the cap. Maybe a carrot?
    Or should that be carat? (Sorry, lockdown hair-tearing kicking in earlier than expected).

Stay safe and sane everyone.

Ian

Good one

We have those awkward spots that need a wee plunger thingy to take out the bulb as you can’t get your fingers in. Sometimes we can’t remember where we put it so that’s good to know Dennis, I just need to buy some now for the next time a bulb blows!