Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ring bending?

It takes mighty strength to bend 2.5mm into a ring for a lady, that's why I bought a ring bender, but if it was a tad bigger it would be easier ,even by putting it on a mandrel to shape it

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I have one too Carole and I have often wondered if you can get slightly bigger wheels to go on it, could make a steel ring and put it on the tools ring I suppose, may try that.
    You can. Or you can get a chunk of Delrin which won't mark the inside of the shank.

FWIW, I mostly use a Pepe ring bender now - the leverage it has makes even bending strips on edge easy (for collets).

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You can. Or you can get a chunk of Delrin which won't mark the inside of the shank.

FWIW, I mostly use a Pepe ring bender now - the leverage it has makes even bending strips on edge easy (for collets).

Do you have this one Peter ? http://www.suttontools.co.uk/super-ring-bender.html
    Jules

That's the beast. I don't use the angled dies much though.
    I did briefly have the Delrin dies, but the finish was absolutely dreadful and they didn't fit so they were rejected. I have a couple of small rare earth magnets holding some thin leather in place instead.

Thx for the feedback about the Delrin dies. That's another tool to add to my ever growing list.
    Jules

I suspect a small engineering firm could make them for significantly less. And more accurately. Being Delrin, there was *no* excuse for the dovetails not fitting; had the been Nylon there could have been some dimensional instability from absorbing moisture if they'd been kept in storage.

I have a couple of small rare earth magnets holding some thin leather in place instead.
    There's something missing here.Thin leather and what Peter? It also made me wonder whether magnetic plastic strip would work. It's probably too fragile, but I'll look some out to try later. Dennis.

Rare earth (neodymium) magnets - like these. Small, strong, popular with the stupid kids for holding fake piercings in place (until you swallow them), not ideal to drop in your lap if you've got credit cards in your pocket (well, fine at that size, but the bigger ones can be a problem).

That's the beast. I don't use the angled dies much though.
    I did briefly have the Delrin dies, but the finish was absolutely dreadful and they didn't fit so they were rejected. I have a couple of small rare earth magnets holding some thin leather in place instead.
    This is the very next thing on my "to buy" list. Good to know about the Delrin dies - I would probably have bought them had I not known they were rubbish!

I'm probably being really dim, but I don't understand how a magnet holds the leather strips in place. Also, where do you buy the leather/what sort of thickness is it?

Thank you

The magnets stick to the steel dies, the leather is very thin - garment weight so probably a dismantled jacket given I usually mess with heavier stuff. "Buy"? LMK when you need some!