Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first efforts

Fantastically amazing!!! You have now made me to have a go at engraving now. I have too many new techniques on my to do list! Any tips for the complete novice?

Oh, and by the way!

That's fabulous. Please put a link to your website in your signature - I'd love to see more of your work

If you (left) click on the username, there should be a drop-down box with "visit homepage" if the URL is set in the user profile.

Thanks Peter. And well worth doing - what an amazing body of work. And what a lovely story as well.

Thanks for your really nice comments folks. Engraving is something I've been doing for over 30 years now and I learned from one of the best in the world, who happens to be my father. Jewellery is something I love and I see some designs and am just blown away by the talent involved it the creation. I'm hoping to be able to make things where I can utilise what I already know and just hope there might be a market for it somewhere.

Gemma, number one tip for the novice engraver, you have to have the patience and enthusiasm and love of engraving first and foremost coz it's a very time consuming pursuit that you can't learn overnight. Secondly (if the previous statement hasn't put you off) , make sure you can sharpen your tools correctly. Thirdly, the best book a beginner engraver can get is "The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek. Although there's a lot of stuff that has been superceded by modern methods the actual instruction is second to none. Finally, check out The Engraver's Cafe (I think Peter knows about this website) at "all the w's".igraver.com/forum/ Here you'll find a very friendly community of engravers of all levels that are very willing to share info and guide the novice.

But that's enough about engraving......I want to know about jewellery!
    Last edited by steelarts; 07-05-2010 at 07:55 PM.

I have got a signature with my website address but for some reason it's not showing.
    Cheers,
    Marcus

Double wow!
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

Wow what a talented guy, it must take so much patience, love your website
    Love and light,
    Maggie[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Dear Marcus,
    I have been embarrassed to offer advice, so I have left a message in your inbox. However if you are on foreign territory, here are some further thoughts. Apart from rings you could also consider tags for mens' bracelets and key tags with initials. Cooksons have large split rings for this and also small ones to save on soldering jumprings. Plates could also have cleats at the back for fixing to leather goods. Once you have made a master, if you wish to go this route, it can be reproduced economically by a jewellery caster, with very little finishing by you. Your work is exceptional and would certainly attract attention if translated to jewellry. However the pressure is always to reduce the cost. Kind regards Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    However if you are on foreign territory
    Ah, you Lunnon people are all the same . Glorster-shuh is way west, only
    known as a weekend destination