Thread: Personalised sleeves for charm beads

Default Personalised sleeves for charm beads

I'm making glass beads for the 'pandora' style bracelet chains. I want to use the silver sleeves but want to have my logo on them. I tried a model maker who has puzzled over it for a while and now tells me he hasnt figured it out yet. I need these soon! Engravers I have spoken to say they cant manage on the comercially available ones as they are too small and that would be procey based on cooksons £1.75 for a pair! Maybe I need these stamped out, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get these done?
    Thanks
    Helen

Are your beads lampwork glass? If so, why not core them with tube? If you need your logo on, you'd need to have a punch or microstamp made (if it's a logo rather than initials, this can be quite expensive), but properly cored beads are more than strong enough to stand up to having the silver stamped at the end. The end result is infinitely nicer than glued in grommets.

If you want to use the commercial ones, Palmer metals are much, much, much cheaper (they start at about 5p each, going up to 14p for the 5mm version). I see no reason why you shouldn't make a stand they could be put on to punch onto.

Thank you George, I bought some from palmer metals a long time back but then they only had one size but see they have several now.
    Yes they are lampwork beads and I have tube lined before, lovely finish but takes much longer and increases the price. Finding that price is a big factor at the mo so trying to keep the 'each' price as low as poss

A stamp seems a good solution, I had wanted the letters to be raised proud but having the name 'Enchanted Cobwebs' on the beads is my main aim for now. Do you think the commercial ones would stand up to being stamped?

Have a good weekend and thanks for the reply
    Helen

Goodness! I think you'd struggle to get the whole name onto a grommet with a stamp. You might be able to get them cast, but I think you'd lose a lot of detail.

I actually think it's almost as quick to line beads with a lining tool (impress or similar) than to glue in grommets, especially if you take into account the setting time for the glue, and there's no comparison on the finish. Out of curiousity, do you make your own beads? It's only a personal opinion, but I really think handmade beads deserve better than glued in grommets.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Goodness! I think you'd struggle to get the whole name onto a grommet with a stamp. You might be able to get them cast, but I think you'd lose a lot of detail.

I actually think it's almost as quick to line beads with a lining tool (impress or similar) than to glue in grommets, especially if you take into account the setting time for the glue, and there's no comparison on the finish. Out of curiousity, do you make your own beads? It's only a personal opinion, but I really think handmade beads deserve better than glued in grommets.
    Hi George
    how would I set about stamping and lining, do I stamp after lining but wouldnt the metal need annealing by then? I make my beads, hubby is a glass artist so I'm being influenced! Making beads is fairly new to me as its mainly silver I have worked in. Who stocks the impress here, all my searches are US sites but had to get my jumpringer from the states as no one here sold at the time
    Thanks
    Helen

There will be a coring tool available here in the UK pretty soon - along with the right sizes of tube to go with it. The silver doesn't need to be particularly soft to stamp into though - I've successfully put initials onto silver cored beads with my smallest letter punches after finishing the coring process - it helps if the cores are fairly flat rather than too domed though. And definitely using the heavier (0.5mm) walled tube. I suspect microstamp or infinity stamps in the US could make you a very tiny logo stamp, but it would be expensive

I want to get started! When is pretty soon? Who will be stocking it so I can keep my beady eye on it!
    Thank you for all your help
    Helen