Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography

Default Photography

As ever.....questions! I want to take some better quality photos of my “creations”! I have a good DSLR camera and quite a bit of success in general photography. However so far I have been disappointed with my results on my bits and pieces. Do you for instance use light boxes or a “bible” that you refer to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Natural light e.g. sun light through a window or light box, a camera with quality macro ability, plus the back ground can influence the final result.

Here are some articles to browse, but avoid unnecessarily expensive suggestions. https://www.google.com/search?client...tography+setup

It' a good idea to have:

At least three daylight LED lamps, One at each side, and one at the front to add sparkle, so that you can work at any time without relying on variable natural light.
    A white cube to diffuse the light, because metal objects are mirrors when shiny. To allow for necklaces, it needs to be about 40cm high. Ready made table top studios are often too cramped.
    A tripod, or table bracket for your camera.
    Then your camera, but I quickly stopped using the Macro function, because it brings up all sorts of imperfections, not apparent to the eye.
    If photographing on white, you need to rack up the exposure.

Lots of shots every which way to get the best from your product, and a photo editing programme to adjust the lighting if required, remove an unwanted reflection, annoying dust spots, or supporting thread and BluTack. Dennis

Default Photography

Thanks for all your advices. The choice of equipment is very broad.

Dennis. When you say a white cube are you alluding to a light box of 40x40 cms to be large enough with external 3 lights as oppose to the internal led strips many have?

I bought mine as a collapsible light cube many years ago. It was only about £15 then. Having external lighting at the sides gives you the option to move them around and introduce slight shadows, which can give form to a piece.
    My light at the front has twelve exposed LEDs, which cause faceted gemstones to sparkle. The problem is only to have them all with the same light temperature and turn off all room lighting, or you will have yellow, or blue patches in your photo. Dennis.

Were you able to see the product when I sent you the second reply? No obvious url .....

At the top of the page you will see a padlock. Select (highlight in Blue by running you cursor along it) everything that follows. It can be very long, so wait until everything is included.
    Then cut (control c) and paste into your reply (control v). The font will turn blue when pasted into your reply, and provide a direct link.
    If before sending, you Go Advanced, and look at the preview, you can test it out yourself but dont forget to press send once verified. Dennis.

I like my photography and have possibly spent much much more than I will ever admit to my Mrs on equipment just for some background info. I will also probably get slated for saying this but if you have a half decent phone and enough light just simple led daylight or natural daylight you can do anything if you get it in focus and learn how to use photoshop. If its for the web its really crappy resolution maybe 1920 x 1080 72dpi at best, a half decent phone will do 4 times that which gives you lots of room to edit. The trick really is how you edit it in photoshop or equivalent software. You can photostack with 100mm macro lenses on full frame DSLR cameras which does give awesome detail but at the end of the day you will need to edit all the blemishes out and I don't care how good you polish is when the image is that close up you get to see absolutely everything even things you cannot see.
    Curvature pen tool in photoshop make a cutting path. The item can then be put on a clean background. the colour,vibrance,curves etc can then be tweaked. a touch up with the spot healing tool and you have a half decentish image.

Then you have the other type of Photographer ( such as myself ) who likes their photos natural and unadulterated with Photoshop, any one can take a rubbish photo and make it look good with photoshop I suppose it depends if you wish to have a true photo of the item or just a representation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Then you have the other type of Photographer ( such as myself ) who likes their photos natural and unadulterated with Photoshop, any one can take a rubbish photo and make it look good with photoshop I suppose it depends if you wish to have a true photo of the item or just a representation of it.
    I'll dispute that. Anyone can take a rubbish photo and it will still be rubbish even with advanced manipulation. Optimising a photo so that it is clear and an honest depiction isn't cheating. Returning a background which has turned grey inside the camera to white is not cheating.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk