Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I an idiot for doing this?

Default Am I an idiot for doing this?

I recently quit a jewellery course for lots of reasons but the long and the short of it is, I want to be a jewellery maker. So I found another course which starts in september, and while I am really excited about it, there's a tiny little voice in me head asking me if I'm sure and I hated the other one so what's the point of starting a new one it'll just be a waste of time and effort so why bother.

But....I can't just give up already....can I?

Default Think ...then go for what you really want!!

I think you need to figure out what the MAIN reason for leaving the last course was. For example, was it the tutor, or the other students, or what you were learning. A differnt tutor and friendly fellow students can make even a dull unit in a course fun! If it was the actual subject that turned you off...did you stay long enough to get past the boring basics - health and safety - how to handle tools etc...every course has these and you have to grit your teeth until you break through to the other side! Even the best and most interesting courses have rough bits...nothing is perfect...and you may have to do stuff that you would rather not do...but there is nothing like learning from someone who knows what they are talking about and can show you how to do it. Teaching yourself from books is a solitary business and although rewarding is hard because you have to figure out what you have done wrong and how to fix it by yourself...there is no one to ask! I would go back to college at the drop of a hat if they offered a pmc certification course. I am saving to go to the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery to do the Diploma in PMC. I've got the train fare and most of the accomodation for 10 days so far (that has taken 18 months) but still have the fees of £1,500 to go...and as that goes up each year I am playing catch up!! I will do it eventually!! If you really want to learn how to do something, stifle that little voice in your head or it may stop you from achieving what you really want!
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 24-07-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake...can't have that !!

Thats great advice Barbara
    Ooh your like the forums agony aunt!

How similar is this new course to the old one? I agree with Solunar, you need to pinpoint what it is you didn't like about the old course and try and figure out if you are likely to encounter the same problems in the new one.

Or if you really want it to learn - grin and bear the bits you don't like...?

It was mainly the tutors and the way things were run there that I didn't like. The other students were a solid mass of gorgeousness (Except the really annoying ones that I just wanted to slap :p)

But no, I kinda miss the others, and I don't want to sound all needy and pathetic but I think I quite need some kind of structure and someone dishing out deadlines and things otherwise I won't get anything done

There is a test to see if you've learnt all you can learn...
    If you're alive, you haven't

No learning is EVER a waste of time, it might not even be something you put into practise straight away, but who knows when the gems you'll learn on this course will come in useful.
    Barbara (Solunar) made some very useful points, it very much depends on why you ditched the first course. You say you "Hated" the first one, unfortunately many basic silver smithing courses can be a bit like that.
    Remember what Mr Miyage did to that poor Karate Kid....all that "wipe on, wipe off", drove him crazy! Before you can play with the art form you sometimes have to do a bit of boring repetitive stuff to gain the technique....

When I went in a soldering course we did 2 days solid of soldering a mixed thickness wire long weave panel. We then cut the panel up and I made two bangles and a pendant. I learnt a lot though & sold the pieces.
    I kept a picture of the pendant bit

Nic x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swirl-silver.jpg  
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I agree, try it first! Get the right course and it will be a great experience!
    Mid Cornwall school v. expensive! I would love to go but have settled for going on the conferences instead- you learn so much!
    Em

Smile Not needy at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It was mainly the tutors and the way things were run there that I didn't like. The other students were a solid mass of gorgeousness (Except the really annoying ones that I just wanted to slap :p)

But no, I kinda miss the others, and I don't want to sound all needy and pathetic but I think I quite need some kind of structure and someone dishing out deadlines and things otherwise I won't get anything done
    Not needy and pathetic at all...I can tell you it is one of the hardest things I have ever done...trying to set up an 'arty crafty' type of business by myself when there are no other 'arty crafty' people around that I can bounce ideas off. My family are great and very supportive in principle but none of them has an interest in anything I do or create in the jewellery line. I usually get - 'Oh yes, that's NICE - well done!'...when what I really need is...'Oh yes, I think that bit works really well but what about trying such and such on that piece there...' Other 'arty crafty' people make you think outside the box and challenge you... That's why I am so addicted to this forum...it is like a lifeline thrown to an artistically dying craftsperson!!...THANKS GUYS!!
    If you live in Surbiton surely there are other colleges around that would offer similar courses if you don't like the ethos of the one you went to.
    Barbara
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 24-07-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling again! Why can't I see the mistakes before I post it??

seconding every thing Barbara just said!

Thinking about it more, it really is the tutors in the last place that put me off. My first jewellery course I did was full of boring bits but ultimately an ace experience and the thing that made me want to become a jewellery maker. The tutor there was really supportive and had the attitude of no mistakes just things you learn from. Whereas my last tutor was if you make another mistake you should just kill yourself. Said jokingly of course, but still blooming hurtful.

I think I'm just scared of having another mean tutor.

Default Stand your ground!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Thinking about it more, it really is the tutors in the last place that put me off. My first jewellery course I did was full of boring bits but ultimately an ace experience and the thing that made me want to become a jewellery maker. The tutor there was really supportive and had the attitude of no mistakes just things you learn from. Whereas my last tutor was if you make another mistake you should just kill yourself. Said jokingly of course, but still blooming hurtful.

I think I'm just scared of having another mean tutor.
    It wasn't a MAN was it???!!! I was the only female in an all male class...all about a foot taller than me...(although I probably had the edge on poundage!!) and we were doing welding and blacksmithing. Well the tutor was constantly making comments that made me feel 'awkward'. The only way I could stop him was to confront him in class and tell him he was a rude and obnoxious man.....the worm turned!! If someone is out of line you have a right to stand your ground - politely, of course!!
    Barbara