Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct flashback arrester

Angry Correct flashback arrester

Hi can enyone help my find the correct flashback arresters for my oxygen and propane set up as I have brought one but it does not have an high enough pressure for my little smiths torch as the arrester only goes up to 5 bar in propane and need to be able to have a arrester that will go up to at least 10 bars but can not find one at all

Little torch does not operate anything like 10 bar more like 3-4 Bar

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Little torch does not operate anything like 10 bar more like 3-4 Bar
    The torch instructions say you need 5-9 bars for different tips on the manual for propane

I've just read through the instructions from Smiths and can find no reference to 5-9 bar. All I've seen is 13.7 - 48.3kPa (for both O2 & fuel - although there's a later reference to 55.2kPa for the #7 tip) across the range of single & dual tips.
    5bar supplying even a Sievert and you'll struggle to get & keep it lit.

http://www.smithequipment.com/files/...63357a_mil.pdf
    Last edited by ps_bond; 27-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Yes, for tip numbers 2 to 7 the psi range is 2 to 8.
    8 psi is significantly less than one bar.

One of the reasons I got the following regulator is that you can see roughly what pressure the fuel is running at:
    http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/...x?c=H1384&zl=2
    Last edited by Aurarius; 27-05-2017 at 06:43 PM.

[QUOTE=Aurarius;94634]Yes, for tip numbers 2 to 7 the psi range is 2 to 8.
    8 psi is significantly less than one bar.

One of the reasons I got the following regulator is that you can see roughly what pressure the fuel is

Thank you I have been looking for one like this for ages but I've already got one but it doesn't have a gauge but when I get some more money I'll defiantly invest in this one already waisted money on one that didn't fit so can't afford to buy another one

Flashback arrester and regulator are two different items, however (I can't speak for U.K.) in Australia they are both readily available for the little torch
    and are not the same as used with most gas welding kits, they go down to lower psi/kpa, I would also tend not to buy one in Bar measurement as your little torch manual does not give that.

Flashback arrester and regulator are two different items, however (I can't speak for U.K.) in Australia they are both readily available for the little torch
    and are not the same as used with most gas welding kits, they go down to lower psi/kpa, I would also tend not to buy one in Bar measurement as your little torch manual does not give that.
    I have both flashback and regulators for both gasses and the one for the propane has a rough guid for PSI so hopefully I can play around with it and get it right obviously now I know what the numbers mean I can get the right pressures for the torch thank you for your help as being someone new to all this and have no exsperiance with anything to do with a oxy/fuel torch it's good to have some help on the way.

Flashback arrester and regulator are two different items
    Did someone suggest otherwise?
    (I can't speak for U.K.) in Australia they are both readily available for the little torch
    and are not the same as used with most gas welding kits, they go down to lower psi/kpa,
    I'd be interested to see an image of the regulator. The only ones I know of that are made for the Little torch are for the bernzomatic style gas cylinders, as used by plumbers (and low-volume jewelry makers). Do they do another kind?
    Last edited by Aurarius; 28-05-2017 at 06:11 PM.

I made that post as as I thought there may have been some confusion, posting pic of the regulator will serve no purpose as it looks just like a normal welding regulator however they are constructed to a higher tolerance to be able to give stable operation at the low pressure required by the little torch, I can post a image if you want