Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this one drove me to drink.

Default this one drove me to drink.

this is the beastie, the setting was an absolute nightmare. I certainly bit of more then I was capable of chewing.
    still it turned out alright in the end. the setting looks skewed while the ring isn't being worn, as soon as its on a finger it looks straight, I can only imagine its twisted, unsymmetrical design.
    its a trillion cut white topaz and sterling. thanks to the advise that made it possible.

the pictures are a bit naff I'm afraid

Such a great design! and yes, very adventurous!
    Have you tried using a cup burr to finish off the ends of the claws? you end up with them round rather than pointed but its a lot easier to get a neat finish.

I've not considered it before but that is purely as that's the first time I've seen one mentioned. ☺
    Looks like I need to buy a new toy

Maybe a fraction smaller bezel as your claws look a little too far away from the stone edge which doesn't help you setting.
    Ideally you want to have to cut a bearing in the claw to get it to sit in place as opposed to just dropping in.
    But don't worry as I'm having the same problem with manfacturers doing the same!
    File your claws level first so they are the same length & you could have them a fair bit shorter by the look of it.
    Good try.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 26-01-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Yeah the top gallery was just a fraction to big.
    Cheers for the advice chris! The next one will have shorter claws (i hope)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Ideally you want to have to cut a bearing in the claw to get it to sit in place as opposed to just dropping in.
    But don't worry as I'm having the same problem with manfacturers doing the same!
    So I wasn't too far out then when I suddenly wondered the other day whether big commercial jewellers do that routinely.

I rifled through my wife's rings, and she has a quarter carat diamond solitaire on an 18k white gold shank her mother bought her a while back. I noticed the round-section claws have no detectable bearing cut into them; they have just been pushed inwards against the girdle and their tips rounded off. Whilst I was giving the ring a bit of a polish with the micromotor I noticed the stone move, and then keep moving until it had rotated round in its "seat" about 180 degrees. Then it rotated back again to its starting point. It did this several times. I've heard of "spinner" rings, but I didn't think it meant the diamond spins.

I've told my wife she has a novelty ring.

Some sad mug is going to have sort that mess out. Any tips on how to approach it?

Without seeing it I'd say just gently squash the claws over a little more & be done.

So rather then my claws being, well, claws and curving over the top of the stone I should be making posts, cutting the profile of the stone into them and then squeeze them closed?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BA-NLQ6Ksz8/
    There's a video that shows it off better.
    Last edited by sam.k; 26-01-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Well I guess it depends what you decide as the designer, but yes that is how claws work & being near enough vertical once done rather than bent over.