Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite hand made tool....?

Talking Your favourite hand made tool....?

I've just posted on the Pickling thread in the Jewellery Discussion Area Advice section (post number 13) about a rather bizarre contraption that I have put together to service my very limited pickling needs...That gave me an idea for a new thread....
    What novel handmade tool or contraption have you made that you wouldn't be without now as it is just perfect for the job...after all we are a creative lot aren't we? Move over Heath Robinson!
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    I think my simplest and most used home made tool is an old credit card.

I just wrap my wetanddry around it and it is soooo useful for sanding curved items before it gets the tripoli/rouge treatment. Credit cards are so flexible that it is perfect for rounded jobs as you can just manipulate whilst sanding.
    *Makes a note in her note book - save next used credit cars*
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I use hotel keycards a lot for things - for example, cut a thin strip off and use it to both mix & apply epoxy, using the rest of the card as a mixing palette.

As for a favourite handmade tool... Er. None of them are particular favourites, there's too many!

Decided I couldn't afford a tumbling machine for polishing just the small bits and pieces I produce (rings, ear ring hooks, chain, bracelet and similar) but found a source for cheapish mixed stainless steel shot and barrelling compound. Throw everything in a screw top plastic jar and shake it around for about 15 minutes. You might end up with biceps like a blacksmith but the silver bits do come out nice and shiny.

Ha ha ha ha! That reminds me of the time I kept the kids busy by giving them each a jam jar full of milk and getting them to shake it until it turned into 'butter'!! they danced and jigged and giggled but it worked in the end!!...and they had their own butter on bread for tea!! It only happened the once though....they saw through it the next time I suggested it!!!

....got any spare children hanging around??!!

uum, I wonder if I could use the jam jar and a spin dryer?

Jx

I hope you are joking!! ...but just in case you aren't... If the jar survives the starting tumble...... the shot would eventually all be stuck to one area in the jar as the certrifugal force would take effect on it - so nothing in the jar would tumble.

Now - if you were to use a plastic tub....and have it on tumble dry...........

Before I had a tumbler, I also used to chuck everything into an old peanut butter jar and roll it under my foot on the floor - free foot massage and polished silver all in one go!

(and yes, it does work to put it in the dryer - just wrap a towel round to stop it banging about too much and use low temp..... )

That's so brilliant. You guys are so resourceful. Why didn't I think of any of those solutions?

Come to think of it. Next time I can't think of any ideas on how to gerry rig up a piece of equipment, I will just ask the experts!