Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a Torch!

NOW you tell me!….

Just had a quick look at your Facebook page Caroline…. Stunning! Some wonderful pieces of work.
    Does your Sievert Torch have a regulator where it connects to the gas bottle? And if so any suggestions as to how it is set.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	7751
    Regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Not all taps are created equal... Our taps in the Caribbean turn the 'wrong' way.
    Yes, my "few of us" was meant to accommodate the rare exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Goodwin View Post
    Just had a quick look at your Facebook page Caroline…. Stunning! Some wonderful pieces of work.
    Does your Sievert Torch have a regulator where it connects to the gas bottle? And if so any suggestions as to how it is set.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	7751
    Regards
    Mark
    Thank you Mark nice of you to say I thought I should look after saying that and I'm afraid all I do is turn the gas on, there is a regulator which is also quite old but not as old as the torch. I will have a closer inspection tomorrow! It doesn't look like yours and mine is still a blue bottle which does me fine as you can see
    In my defence I believe that because my torch is ancient like moi that the handle isn't as heavy as those available now and why change something that works for you.
    I'll get back to Dennis re pendants and micro motors as I'm still undecided about whether I need one but very tempted. I would like to get better at setting stones so that would be my main reason so maybe a waste of money?

Hi Mark I have had my Sievert torch for around 10 years , I recently noticed it was not working as well as it should , I spoke to Hamiltons who told me the regulator may have gone as a part inside can perish. I never really turned the flame up and down just off and on . I got a new regulator and the torch is back to its usual self . On seeing your post I turned the regulator up and down ( I normally have mine on 4) there's not much of a difference in the flame until it's nearly off and then the flame obviously reduces. I'm no expert but if it does the job and everything turns off ok when you finish it should be ok. I use a small hand torch when I don't need as much heat.

I've recently bought a Sievert torch and it's nothing but trouble. I've been on the phone to the supplier, calor and Sievert and they all say it's not their problem! I learned the basics on a Sievert so thought it best to stick with what I know for the time being but I won't be doing that again as it is likely that my recent purchase will be growing wings to fly to the bottom of the garden before long!

What trouble have you been having Rae?? I love my sievert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    What trouble have you been having Rae?? I love my sievert!!
    Me too Jill. Although I did mention a few months ago that it was occasionally flaring but after all these years that's the first of any problems

Sometimes it won't light despite the gas being on properly but the main problem being that it keeps going out and the flame splutters for want of a better word! I have tried everything I can think of including keeping everything at a constant temperature, dismantling everything when not in use and regular cleaning. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sieverts are so simply made, that provided they are clean and the junctions are done up tightly, the problem is more likely to be with the gas pressure. In this case it might be too high. Dennis.