Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The price of gold :)

This is the one area that I am really struggling with since returning to making. I have made a few pieces from old stock of sheet and have priced up the silver in order to replace and it runs into £100's!

Oh my actual god! So it IS £991 for a tiny square of 9ct 1mm thick piece that measures 70 Millimetres square? That's mm's not cm's! I won't be offering gold jewellery then. How come you can buy a gold ring for so much less, or a gold pendant? Confused.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Neve View Post
    Oh my actual god! So it IS £991 for a tiny square of 9ct 1mm thick piece that measures 70 Millimetres square? That's mm's not cm's! I won't be offering gold jewellery then. How come you can buy a gold ring for so much less, or a gold pendant? Confused.com.
    Neve, not sure where you get your ring prices from but;
    From a square of 70mm. you could cut 8 strips of 8mm. wide x 70mm. long and these made into man size wedding ring bands, based on Cookson's prices of a Z size 8mm. wide, 1mm.thick, flat wedding bands which cost £400 plus each at today's prices. So the gold would make 8 x £400 = £3200.

James

Thanks James, good point. I wasn't really thinking it through properly! Thanks everso for your help people. X x x

Quote Originally Posted by silken View Post
    Am I seeing things or did Neves' question come after the answers? The forum gremlims are doing their rounds tonight!!
    It was wierd, I saw Neve's question, I replied, it did nothing, I pressed reply again (after adding Neve's name).......seems I started the thread with foresight now!! Lol

"caroleallen
    I've been trying for ages to get a piece of 9ct rose gold about 6cmx6cm. No one seems to stock a piece that big!"

Have you tried Betts Carole?? I had some from there not so long ago, not quite that size, they seem to be able to order pretty much anything in for you.

Either that, or you are a mind reader and answer questions before they've even been asked

I wished I had that foresight..............if I had, I would have bought LOADS of gold 5 years ago!! Lol..........oh well ;-s