Thread: HeyLo

Default HeyLo

Hi all
    I'm pretty new to the world of craft but was hoping to get started with some jewellery this weekend. I'Ve joined up and I'm excited to discover some great ideas and get some great advice from you all.

Thanks
    K

Welcome, but please note, crafters buy components and put them together. Then they say they made it.
    Jewellers start much earlier in the chain of events, with sheet, wire and solder. Sometimes even by just melting scrap. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Welcome, but please note, crafters buy components and put them together. Then they say they made it.
    Jewellers start much earlier in the chain of events, with sheet, wire and solder. Sometimes even by just melting scrap. Dennis.
    Does the word "craft" have this pejorative connotation only in the world of jewellery-making, Dennis? To be fair, Heylo didn't actually use the word "crafter", which, I accept, is often used to describe someone who employs minimal hand skills to make functional or decorative things.

As K has made random comments on some quite old posts it may just be a case of spam for tea

Might well be. Watching.

Well Mark, as you will probably agree, a jewellers skill is learned by years of graft and application, for professionals and amateurs alike. So I am rather touchy about any perceived belittling of our efforts.

As for myself I have lived and breathed the subject since my retirement 22 years ago and have barely scratched the surface.

I see this not as the world of craft, but as the world of craftspersons, or aspiring ones like me. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 15-08-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    As K has made random comments on some quite old posts it may just be a case of spam for tea
    The post certainly does have that rather bland, non-descript flavour to it, Caroline. Let's hope we're shown to have misjudged things.

I see this not as the world of craft, but as the world of craftspersons, or aspiring ones like me. Dennis.
    It's apparent in all sorts of pursuits that not everyone who takes it up has the application to do it for real. That's their loss, and I'd like to think most sensible people can tell the difference between charlatans and experts - assuming they take the trouble to look hard enough.

As for myself I have lived and breathed the subject since my retirement 22 years ago and have barely scratched the surface.
    Art is long; life is short.

There's an old French manual on hand bookbinding I'm very fond of. At the end of the book the author talks about how genuine craftspeople receive constant motivation from the desire to produce a piece of work that is perfect in all respects and that can give them that total satisfaction they've long been striving for in their work. He adds, however, that if the craftsperson ever does achieve such a masterpiece, their life will no longer have any meaning; they will hang up their tools and spend the rest of their life simply contemplating the perfection they've finally managed to pull off.

I think in your case, Dennis, you wouldn't hang up your tools at all but would probably want to go on achieving perfection even more eagerly now that you had the taste for it. Here's to your next 22 years!