Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2016 - Gold

I love both entries so far, I enjoy looking at what people have made knowing it takes talent and skill. I don't make but I do sell silver jewellery, so I appreciate the work and effort that goes into each piece.

I made this ring for my wife using some old stones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	207a Hilary's ring.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	8951

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 16-05-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Beautiful ring James. Was it cast or worked from sheet? I love the texture. Lucky wife!

Lucky wife James. It's gorgeous.
    Did you have to shape the bezels so they sat on the band nicely. Or were they so small that it didn't matter?
    Also, does putting rings around the top make it uncomfortable to wear? Just asking because I love this type of design.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Lucky wife James. It's gorgeous.
    Did you have to shape the bezels so they sat on the band nicely. Or were they so small that it didn't matter?
    Also, does putting rings around the top make it uncomfortable to wear? Just asking because I love this type of design.
    Theresa, I made the settings from white gold tube and filed them to fit the ring band, the central 18ct yellow band is only 0.70mm. thick so the wires soldered at each edge make it seem a thicker ring and is quite comfortable to wear, I made my daughter this similar ring a few years ago. The design is based on an old design by Leo De Vroomen, see;http://www.devroomen.co.uk/ he is a jeweller who I have made work for in the past.

This is my daughter's ring with gold beads soldered on the band and set with blue topaz;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 gold ring.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	8952

James

Thank you James - very helpful. Just took a peek and found this one. Brilliant design!
    http://www.devroomen.co.uk/commissions/emma-rose-story/
    Last edited by theresa; 17-05-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn.D View Post
    The aquamarine really sets it off, the Grandma will treasure it forever, I know I would.
    Thank you Lynn. It's really lovely of you to say I think I must have made about 50 waxes trying to line up those fingerprints lol.

Absolutely stunning work James. Both the rings are beautiful. Really with I could set that well

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

such great things to see this month - will be a difficult thing to decide, I am sure.

I am entering this piece - it has yellow gold CZ and a 9ct yellow gold butterfly. I don't have much gold in stock and am reluctant to melt an old ring! So, the little bit I have I cut out some wings and snipped off a little wire. The Insect Hotel is a miniature of something I love in the garden; a Hibernaculum places for Ladybirds finding horizontal openings to sneak into, Butterflies accessing Long vertical ones (makes sense as they don't take their wings off when the go indoors ) they offer solitary bees a place to investigate and create some small cells, and earwigs just love anywhere tunnelling and dark.

Attachment 8957

Hi

James,
    another wonderful piece from you, as always! Probably a very silly basic question, but how did you get the 'reeded' effect for the background? I'd love to know, it looks great.

Wallace,
    That is just delicious! What size is it?