Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing Motor Machine Recommendations?

Default Polishing Motor Machine Recommendations?

Hi! Does anyone have any polishing motor machine recommendations?

I bought a cheap one from cooksongold at the beginning of the year for around £90 and its stopped working so I'm looking to upgrade.

I use it mainly to polish small to medium sized sterling silver pendants. The first one didn't have a dust extractor and the dust/polishing rouge would go EVERYWHERE. So a really good dust extractor built in or attachment is necessary. I looked at the durston double polishing machine but it had some negative reviews on cookson so I'm not sure.

I use it daily so would need something durable! Any recommendations will be really appreciated!

There's a good little Foredom on Ebay just now. They are strong, with variable speed, and quite small, so don't take up much space. There is an optional hood, and the two together would be just over £100.

My experience is that the hood collects spray well, even without suction. But you do have to check it will take UK voltage, 230-240. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114229925764

If not, I would still get one for UK. I think Cousins have them. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-10-2020 at 03:22 PM.

I made my own, the dust extractor is the expensive part, with many commercial units the duct extraction is severely lacking. Have a look here for commercial unit https://pepetools.com/collections/polishing-tumbling
    before you purchase, ask what the specs are on the extraction,

Dennis that listing's pretty hard to read, but the two together comes to over £275. Not much of a bargain given that the two sold on the main site come to just over £240. I realise there are selling fees etc on ebay, but that seems a big hike to me.

First of all I would put in a complaint to Cooksons. Under EU/UK consumer law you are entitled to expect reasonable durability in your purchases. A polishing machine should last longer than under a year. You could sue them in the county court if they do not refund.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Dennis that listing's pretty hard to read, but the two together comes to over £275. Not much of a bargain given that the two sold on the main site come to just over £240. I realise there are selling fees etc on ebay, but that seems a big hike to me.
    Oh my goodness George. Not the first time I've been bamboozled by Ebay. In that case I would go to Cooksons for the polisher, and Ebay for the hood.
    In view of the previous one failing, you should get a deal. Dennis.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, really helpful! I am just having a look through all the options now. I have contacted them about my broken motor and hopefully I can get a refund or something but we will see.

Has anyone had any experience with this one? https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/do...ct?code=P44200

Quote Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, really helpful! I am just having a look through all the options now. I have contacted them about my broken motor and hopefully I can get a refund or something but we will see.

Has anyone had any experience with this one? https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/do...ct?code=P44200
    Folks don’t tend to deal with Cousins for anything likely to break down. They have notoriously bad customers service and you’ll be unlikely to get a refund or replacement

I must say in Cooksongolds defence that I have found them very quick to respond and happy to replace a couple of faulty items. One was over a year old, a sievert torch and the other faulty from the start. No quibble at all. In the case of the torch, Replaced by return of post even before they had received It back from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I must say in Cooksongolds defence that I have found them very quick to respond and happy to replace a couple of faulty items. One was over a year old, a sievert torch and the other faulty from the start. No quibble at all. In the case of the torch, Replaced by return of post even before they had received It back from me.
    I think you maybe misread my post if that’s what you’re referring to defending