Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilling with Foredom

Quote Originally Posted by cartres View Post
    I guess this tool is definitely way too advanced for me.
    A pendant drill isn't too advanced for anybody; something is fundamentally wrong, whether it's with the machine, your drill bits or your technique. For a start, can you show us a close-up image of your drill bit in the chuck and the hole in the metal you're trying to drill? I know you've said it's not in reverse. To confirm this, can you tell us which way the drill bit spins when you turn on the power?
    Last edited by Aurarius; 16-09-2015 at 11:48 PM.

No, your machine is easy enough for any one to use.

Check once more that you are using twist drills similar to these; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...mounted+drills

That they go round in the hand piece, are tightened enough with your key and do not slip.

Also reverse the machine switch and see whether that improves things.

Failing all that, try to talk to someone who is handy with an ordinary household drill for home improvements, as in drilling holes in walls. Their tools are very similar and they will know instinctively what is wrong. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Also reverse the machine switch and see whether that improves things.
    That's good thinking, Dennis; there's always the slim possibility that Sofina is using left-handed drill bits and doesn't know it. A photo showing the orientation of the drill flutes will answer that question, assuming the image hasn't been flipped before posting!
    Mark.

Thank you all for the help. When the machine is swithced on the drill spins clockwise, i have tested both the forward and reverse and still can not see a difference. I have attached a few images, hopfully this sheds some light on what i may be doing wrong. The drill bits i have purchased are from cooksons. Links to both are below. The 2mm silver has a few pre set stones, these i did at a jewellery class and was not with my foredom. All the tiny holes sourrounding the set stones is what i have done with the foredom. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150917_150112_resized.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	8162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150917_150228_resized.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	8163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150917_150426_resized.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	8164

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-970-100
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-971-175

You're showing us two different drill bits there. The all-silver-coloured one looks fairly normal to me; the one with the black shank appears to have no tip to it. Which of these two bits is the more troublesome to cut with?

I can not seem to drill with either. They drill bits are new i used them for the first time yesterday. I can not seem to shift any metal with the drill or burrs. All of which are new. I have tried everything suggested in the comments, but nothing seems to be working for me.

Your black bit doesn't look to be in very good shape, as I've said. If it's really not, you won't find it easy to cut with.

But if you can't get your other bits (and even your burrs) to cut then possibly your technique is to blame. How much downward pressure are you exerting on the bit when you drill (enough so that the bit has no tendency to skip around would be a minimum), and is the silver firmly supported so that it doesn't "give" in response to pressure from the drill bit when you're drilling into it?

In the meantime, have a think about the way you did things at college and try and find something that's different about your present set-up and/or technique.

ETA: I forgot to ask: what speed are you drilling at? Slow, medium, fast?
    Last edited by Aurarius; 17-09-2015 at 04:51 PM.

I would go with my last suggestion. Invite a person who is handy with a domestic drill round for coffee and they will quickly suss it out. The most likely thing now is that the drill is slipping in the handpiece.

The drill with the dark 2.35 shank is an HSS drill and has a different profile, but still OK if new.Dennis.

have you tried drilling another bit of metal. maybe the end of the black drill has snapped off in the metal you will find it difficult to drill then if not impossible. Are you using ball burrs or setting burrs ? setting burrs don't cut very well you need to open then up with a ball burr first. Also you could try drilling a small piece of wood and get you technique down. Drilling a 1mm hole is difficult till you get a feel for it the drills are very brittle and snap at the slightest provocation if you don't hold them square. Im sure if you posted a video of the problem and you drilling, you dont need to be in the shot, it would give members a better idea how to help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    That's good thinking, Dennis; there's always the slim possibility that Sofina is using left-handed drill bits and doesn't know it. A photo showing the orientation of the drill flutes will answer that question, assuming the image hasn't been flipped before posting!
    Mark.
    There are left-handed drill bits? Never knew that!

So sorry you are having trouble Cartres, it must be very very frustrating for you - I have a foredoom and if I can use it anyone can, so there's a simple solution out there somewhere. I do, however, manage to break a fair few drill bits with mine, especially the fine ones.

Hoping you have your answer soon, Susie.