Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire wrapping

Default Wire wrapping

Hi

I've just started to get interested in wire wrapping and drilling sea glass, pebbles and sea ceramics. I've not plucked up the courage to drill yet and I'm still researching, but I'd like your opinions on a few of my first wire wrapping pieces

I hope I've managed to attach my images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Very pretty. I don't think you need lessons from us. Dennis.

Looks nice to me! I've always been interested in drilling holes in sea glass too but haven't looked into it yet.

Aww thanks

I'm pretty scared if I'm honest

Is it real sea glass or tumbled glass?
    the trick is not to have the finished piece look like some amateur made it - there are lots of amateur looking pieces with wire wrapping. Yours look like they are doing fine. Keep it simple is always the best rule
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Default Divine Intervention?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Is it real sea glass or tumbled glass?
    This question has cropped up here from time to time. What I wonder is how many customers would be more impressed by the natural product, gathered on the sea shore.

Would it need authentication by a notary perhaps? Would people feel better about it, or pay a premium for it? Discuss.

Real sea glass from the Northumberland coast. I will bear that in mind Pearlescence, I like simple

For Dennis, Discuss:

I think that generally, if a person buys a 'sea glass' pendant from a venue by the sea, they assume (rightly or wrongly) that it is "natural" sea glass. They are usually investing in a memory of the area. Is that memento any less valuable to that person if the glass is not "natural"? probably not. Is it wrong that as jewellers and artists we should perpetuate the myth? That is down to the individual to decide. Personally, I believe in full disclosure for all details. (Pet hate: items described as gold and silver, which are actually silver with a little gold plate and should be described as such or plate, rolled, vermeil items which are only clearly described in the very small print!) But then, I price my pieces dependent on the treatment/non treatment of gemstones and materials used and I don't use sea glass! That said, If I found a piece on my favourite beach...
    Last edited by Ceri; 01-06-2017 at 02:08 PM.

I used to watch and listen (when I did shows) a glass artist tell all these stories about walks on the beach to find the glass when I knew she was using up her off cuts/ Some people are just boris johnson, can't help but lie to make a good story and themselves look good
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk