Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arbor Press

Default Arbor Press

I'm very new to this, in fact I haven't even started yet! I'd like to make anticlastic bracelets using 1mm aluminium.

I'd rather not hammer, so I'm looking at those Bonny Doon forming dies.

riogrande. com/Product/Bonny-Doon-Anticlastic-Bracelet-Forming-Kit/110476?Pos=11

Expensive I know, but need speed and consistency.

I'd like to use a press to work with them and I'm thinking that an arbor press will do the job.

How many tonnes of force would one of these dies require on 1mm aluminium? Normally they are 0.5 - 2 tonnes.

Also is there an alternative to Bonny Doon dies?

Hello Bode. The Bonny Doon is 20 tonnes.

Depends on the width of bracelet that you want to make, I have one of these and it works well. http://www.jewelrytoolsbymiland.com/...ti-Clastic.htm
    Takes a bit of work but doesn't mark the metal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Hello Bode. The Bonny Doon is 20 tonnes.
    Yes, that's their own hydraulic press.

I want to use their dies with polyurethane on a simple arbor press instead and wanted to know if a 1/2 - 1 tonne press would have enough force on the urethane.

I've seen similar pliers Lorraine, but I'm assuming you need to try and use equal force for the length of the bracelet (just like hammering) so there is room for error/ unevenness.
    Last edited by bode; 06-02-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bode View Post
    I want to use their dies with polyurethane on a simple arbor press
    It's actually 'urethane' bode, a rubber like material which comes in several hardnesses and recovers its shape after compression. You will need the sustained pressure of a hydraulic press. As Carole has indicated, you will struggle to achieve much with less than 20 tonnes. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ...... You will need the sustained pressure of a hydraulic press. As Carole has indicated, you will struggle to achieve much with less than 20 tonnes. Dennis.
    I can't post links, but if you search YouTube for 'Potter USA Arbor Press' you'll see that she is using an Arbor Press with an anticlastic die with a urethane base.

That's what I'm hoping to achieve with a nice uniformed Bonny Doon Anticlastic Bracelet Kit.

Sorry, I had my mind fixed on the anticlastic system.

I watched Melissa Muir and it must be possible to use a press sourced in the UK. Unfortunately it looks as if you will have to do the experiment for yourself, because anyone using this method professionally will not want to help set you up in competition.

That said, there might be something on Ganoksin http://www.ganoksin.com/ . Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-02-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Interesting - a couple of observations though:
    That's a small arbor press; whether it's a 1/2 or 1 tonne I'm not sure, but it looks a significantly smaller frame than my 2 tonne.
    It is only suitable for press forming very small items.
    Axminster sell a 1T press still but seem to have dropped the 2T; the arbor is easy enough to machine to add tooling holes.

Using an arbor press is subject to variation in the same way as hammering - the only way to get absolutely consistent force is to measure, such as using the pressure gauge on a hydraulic press; otherwise it is guesswork. Could well be "close enough" guesswork, but still guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Interesting - a couple of observations though:
    That's a small arbor press; whether it's a 1/2 or 1 tonne I'm not sure, but it looks a significantly smaller frame than my 2 tonne.
    It is only suitable for press forming very small items.
    Axminster sell a 1T press still but seem to have dropped the 2T; the arbor is easy enough to machine to add tooling holes.

Using an arbor press is subject to variation in the same way as hammering - the only way to get absolutely consistent force is to measure, such as using the pressure gauge on a hydraulic press; otherwise it is guesswork. Could well be "close enough" guesswork, but still guesswork.
    could you adapt something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3803752402...84.m1438.l2649

You could, but at 6T it's almost not worth it - even as a garage tool. I made a small 8T press out of scrap I had around and that didn't have enough oomph to do much (although it was handy for compressing mokume stacks before I bent it).