Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toggle clasp for bracelet

Default Toggle clasp for bracelet

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

As i didnt have a lot of time today i thought i would do a little to the bracelet i was working on at college. So i made some links and put them on (except for the end ones) havent soldered them yet, but what did occur to me was that i have not got a clasp for this bracelet. I really wanted it to be something i had made rather than shop bought, and i thought probably the easiest was a toggle. But as i hope you can see from the piccy (prays it works) its quite small and i dont want the clasp to overpower it. I am placing as i said before, a small cabuchon in the middle of the "bow" sections, and they are very tiny, so the overall appearance of the bracelet is delicate. I just wondered if you wouldnt mind giving me you opinion on a toggle and then, wondered if you had any ideas as to whether i could make one at home (and tell me how) or if i should wait til i go back to college at the end of september.

If you feel i have a cheek asking if it would look right i completely understand.

Also I want to put some tiny links around the double links and wondered if they will really need to be soldered as well as the double ones. I didnt make note of what solder i used to join the links on the ends of the bows and tears (daft I know) so i dont know whether to just use XE to be safe, as i know i didnt use that cos of it needing links in between, or whether i should use easy hoping i used hard originally, so that if i want to solder the tiny links onto the others, i can still use XE on them?

Sorry i need to keep a diary of what i have done on ongoing projects so that this doesnt happen again. Lesson learned
    Last edited by bustagasket; 19-08-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

i make my own toggles ( lampwork beaded bracelet in album ) much cheaper to do that then buy them ... your bracelet looks lovely su & look really nice with your own made toggle

Out of interest Julie - is that bracelet a variation on my tutorial in Beads and Beyond a few months ago? The toggle certainly looks like it is!

Don't use XE as it's not hallmark quality solder but you should be fine with easy
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

if you mean the silver jump ring & silver ball bracelet - yes great magazine to if you mean the lampwork one then no it's left over jumprings i soldered together
    Last edited by julie; 19-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Yes, the captured ball one

It's always lovely to see someone using one of my tutorials - I sometimes wonder whether they actually do or not!

Sorry, I never answered the original question!

Su', I think a toggle might be a bit too much for such a pretty and delicate design. If you want to keep it entirely handmade, how about a hook and eye clasp, which could mirror the design of the tear sections? Made in doubled wire, it would also fit very well with the link rings.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Yes, the captured ball one

It's always lovely to see someone using one of my tutorials - I sometimes wonder whether they actually do or not!
    i'm sure people do they buy the magazine for ideas & tutorials i like the bracelet very pretty but i do find i have to keep fixing it as it's a non-soldered bracelet or i'd be losing the balls

Oh dear! That shouldn't be happening. What temper did you use for the jump rings?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Oh dear! That shouldn't be happening. What temper did you use for the jump rings?
    i had to look it up it suggested soft & half hard ??? but i only use half hard at college i can put up with playing with it a bit, when i wear it everyone loves it & so do i ...