Thread: Help with Gimp

Default Help with Gimp

Hi

Ive made a 9ct gold pendant and set it on a string of beads with gold plated gimp on the string ends, does anybody know whether this will be ok for hallmarking?
    I can't seem to find any gold or silver gimp, its all plated.

I would normally have sent the pendant on its own.

The assay office might be willing handle it already on its necklace. Ring them and ask. I would say that the beads and stringing are irrelevant to them. Dennis.

What sort of clasp? They will want to look at that if it is any sort of metal. I also agree with Dennis. Take it apart and send just the pendant
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I would normally have sent the pendant in on its own as well but this came up on a fb forum post recently and the assay office failed the assay because the gimp was plated. This seems to be normal practice which seems bonkers to me. I’ve always done any beading after assay as it’s my most hated job so I leave it until the very last minute. I haven’t asked Edinburgh if they are as strict but this seems to apply to all earring scrolls being sent in as well. I’ve always just sent my various pendants in on their own without wires or chains and no-one has questioned it

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I would normally have sent the pendant in on its own as well but this came up on a fb forum post recently and the assay office failed the assay because the gimp was plated. This seems to be normal practice which seems bonkers to me. I’ve always done any beading after assay as it’s my most hated job so I leave it until the very last minute. I haven’t asked Edinburgh if they are as strict but this seems to apply to all earring scrolls being sent in as well. I’ve always just sent my various pendants in on their own without wires or chains and no-one has questioned it
    I'm sorry to hear you hate beading (Do you mean knotting?) There are lots of methods, perhaps a different method would enthuse you?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

The gimp will almost certainly make the overall piece fail assay. It certainly does at Birmingham and London. I tend to just make my own with very fine wire, using a piece of 0.8/1mm steel wire (which I always have in stock for brooch pins) as a mandrel. Works perfectly! It's worth always keeping any beaded piece and pendant separate - pendants often need to be hallmarked, their beaded necklaces rarely do as the overall weight of findings tends to come in under the threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you hate beading (Do you mean knotting?) There are lots of methods, perhaps a different method would enthuse you?
    I rarely use beads Wendy but I just find it tedious. I could solder a really complex piece 20 times in the time it takes me to do a beaded necklace!