Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about dremel engraver

Default Question about dremel engraver

I have been engraving by hand but looking to invest in an electric tool.
    Lidl are doing a cordless engraver today which on the surface looks great for the price but I like the dremel engraver because you can get replacement points.
    My question is can you get or use different points with different shapes?
    Also can you not engrave with a rotary tool like the Foredom SR?
    Thank you in advance for your advice xxx

Engraving is a loosely used term to cover rotary and vibratory tools. But if you want to extend you hand engraving skills, dont even think about them. What you need is a power engraver that uses proper graver ends.
    Others with more experience will advise here when they see this, but it can't be done on a small budget. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis I’ll look into power engravers x

You can engrave by hand without the use of power, with or without power to become proficient takes many hours of dedicated practice.
    Engraving using rotary tools is a very low quality form of engraving

As part of my general rehabilitation & improving hand/eye coordination, I've been rebuilding my engraving skills; these were done with hand push only. Onglette & flat for the leaf patterns (3-4mm borders, BTW) and a square graver for the pattern.

The geometric pattern is on 0.8mm copper and involved cutting so deep that there are dimples on the back face...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	practice_plate.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	12248 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pattern_1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	12249

Power engravers are quite expensive, I have an air graver and it is excellent but it was not cheap.
    The Dremel type engravers are absolutely useless for engraving, I bought one years ago but it is truly awful and just makes a horrid mess.
    Engraving power needs to be smooth so that the lines are smooth.
    The best thing is to get some hand engravers and see how you like it, you will develop the skills that you need without spending a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Power engravers are quite expensive, I have an air graver and it is excellent but it was not cheap.
    They are wonderful tools - but there's little point my getting into a Ferrari when I needed to relearn how to change gear
    (I'm back to using my Airgraver since I did that practice plate)

Haha! Well they do make it easier I think by making the push easy.

Yup - starting & stopping a cut is much easier in particular; it's more difficult to slip (especially with the Palmcontrol - you come out of the cut & the tool stops). I know Tom Sterling doesn't believe that people should learn traditional before switching to power; I think the feedback in doing hand-pushed is invaluable.

Of course, there's also hammer and chisel... Very cheap to do and good for heavy cuts.

I am in awe at those who engrave the inside of a rings (hand pushed), I know it is done with the aide of a micro scope, I don't think I will live long enough to be that good