Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel polisher - rusty shot

Default Barrel polisher - rusty shot

Hi,

So it turns out I was a little forgetful at the weekend and forgot to put any water in my barrel polisher after I had emptied it 😩 So now some of the shot has rusted - is there any way to save it? I had it going around with water and ammonia but the water is not getting any cleaner. Luckily I have a spare set of shot but thought I would ask in case anyone knows if I can save it at all?

Thanks
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Vitty View Post
    Hi,

So it turns out I was a little forgetful at the weekend and forgot to put any water in my barrel polisher after I had emptied it �� So now some of the shot has rusted - is there any way to save it? I had it going around with water and ammonia but the water is not getting any cleaner. Luckily I have a spare set of shot but thought I would ask in case anyone knows if I can save it at all?

Thanks
    Beth
    I had the same thing happen Beth. I tried to clean it then just carried on ( I didn't have extra)and it seems to be ok.I don't use mine that often though.
    I don't see what harm it can do really.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Vitty View Post
    Hi,

So it turns out I was a little forgetful at the weekend and forgot to put any water in my barrel polisher after I had emptied it �� So now some of the shot has rusted - is there any way to save it? I had it going around with water and ammonia but the water is not getting any cleaner. Luckily I have a spare set of shot but thought I would ask in case anyone knows if I can save it at all?

Thanks
    Beth
    Not sure how you can save it, but if you haven't already considered it, perhaps you should upgrade to stainless steel shot. It's more carefree than ordinary steel shot. I have been using mine for over 15 months now and not a spot of rust. cousinsuk.com/product/shot-stainless-steel-popular-mix

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Not sure how you can save it, but if you haven't already considered it, perhaps you should upgrade to stainless steel shot. It's more carefree than ordinary steel shot.[/URL]
    A have a vision in my head now of all this carefree shot having a little dance and a skip in the barrel when no one is looking or listening

I was actually going to ask for clarification on that...

I'd agree with buying stainless steel shot (though I don't like the Cousins mix - it's got far too many sharp edges). But in the meantime, chuck it back in the barrel with half a can of coca cola and run for a couple of hours. White vinegar can work too, but smells horrible.

After use, either dry it really, really well (spread on a tray in a low oven is good, or a hairdryer if that's more convenient), or store in barrelling compound solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I'd agree with buying stainless steel shot (though I don't like the Cousins mix - it's got far too many sharp edges). But in the meantime, chuck it back in the barrel with half a can of coca cola and run for a couple of hours. White vinegar can work too, but smells horrible.

After use, either dry it really, really well (spread on a tray in a low oven is good, or a hairdryer if that's more convenient), or store in barrelling compound solution.
    Which shot do you recommend? Judging from the pictures, the stainless steel shot available on Cookson gold looks identical to the Cousins mix: Stainless-Steel-Mix-Shot-1kg-prcode-998-003G

Also, do you use separate shot and barrel for each alloy? I didn't think this was necessary but the product description recommends it to avoid cross-contamination.

Thanks

I like a version that's no longer available, but the nearest thing to it is from Rio - https://www.riogrande.com/Product/st...t-mixed/339097 - I think the Cookson's one is similar - it has a much better range of shapes than the Cousins version - with saucers and without the huge cylinders and tiny balls that get stuck inside things.

I use the same shot for all metals, but I rinse thoroughly between uses and store under water.

I noticed a while ago that Cousins does a bag of small round micro shot on its own. Anyone had experience of using this? Thought it might be good for getting in close to corners, but might get stuck everywhere.

I've sampled all sorts of mixed shot in my search for the Holy Grail and even imported some, but the best so far for its tiny size and relative smoothness is the one from creative glass: http://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/s...ase=mixed+shot

It gets even better with continued use and will not rust. Dennis.