Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Charm #3

Default Lucky Charm #3

Morning all

This is a very late Christmas present for my daughter. I wasn't in a good place at Christmas and had no idea what to do so I put a pile of casting granules in her card with the promise of making her a special piece of her own choosing. She decided she wanted a four leaf clover.

I also wanted to celebrate and wish her luck on her journey to university, she is the first in our family so I'm rather proud. I wanted to nod to her getting all scientific, so this was the design that transpired. I'm rather pleased with it. She didn't want anything too 'girly' which allowed me to juxtapose the softness of the clover with something a little more 'edgy'.

As a lucky charm charm I wanted it to look filled with symbology and I think this is. There are hidden messages and symbols throughout this piece and from different angles you see both a lucky wishbone and the ace of spades (The highest card in the pack).

On the technical side this was my first ever tube setting so that was really frightening. Knowing that I HAD to get it right first time, as it is the last thing to fit and that I could wreck many hours of toil. Thankfully my burr skills were ok and I chalked up my first facet setting. I must at this point thank the lovely Jill who sneaked this beautiful peridot in as a surprise with some excess luxi she supplied me It felt appropriate to use it for something very special. My daughter loves it and will hopefully treasure it for years to come.

Aaaanyway... Delft cast clover. Dividers are 2mm square wire with a 4mm Peridot mounted in 4.5mm silver tube. To give separation to the pieces the clover is high polished and the dividers are brushed. I did try the other way but due to another 'happy accident' had to make the dividers matte, which works better as they are more true to life.

Right, enough of my rambles. For my third ever finished pendant, I give you 'Lucky Charm #3'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_201504152675.jpg   IMG_2015041550608.jpg   IMG_2015041513995.jpg   IMG_201504155428.jpg   IMG_2015041528164.jpg  

All the gear and no idea

That's really lovely vos, no wonder your daughter loves it. I'm glad it all got sorted out. However, you seem to have passed the gremlins on to me - I'm having issues with a necklace I'm making over on the 'help me, I'm drowning' thread (I think its really called ask the experts)! And good luck to your daughter for when she starts uni, exciting times for her.

That's looking lovely and you managed to get rid of the accident

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    That's really lovely vos, no wonder your daughter loves it. I'm glad it all got sorted out. However, you seem to have passed the gremlins on to me - I'm having issues with a necklace I'm making over on the 'help me, I'm drowning' thread (I think its really called ask the experts)! And good luck to your daughter for when she starts uni, exciting times for her.
    I have been following your thread. I feel your pain. Although my gremlins are firmly rooted here I'm afraid, you must have their distant cousins

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    That's looking lovely and you managed to get rid of the accident
    Thank you! It was quite a recovery thanks to Mr Bond and Josef.
    All the gear and no idea

gorgeous, Vos

Fabulous design and beautifully finished!
    Love the peridot and also how you have finished the sides without going all the way round.

Absolutely lovely piece Vos, you're daughter is very lucky and no wonder she loves it!! I'm glad that you were able to put the peridot to such good use

I find it hard to believe that it is only your 3rd pendant, you really have designed and executed it so well, despite the best attempts of the gremlins!!

Wishing your daughter every success at uni!!

Feel free to keep on rambling Vos. The pendant is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing the next in your series of Lucky Charms.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    gorgeous, Vos
    et tu, brutus

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Fabulous design and beautifully finished!
    Love the peridot and also how you have finished the sides without going all the way round.
    Sarah, that was the trickiest part for me. Breaking the line​ without breaking the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Absolutely lovely piece Vos, you're daughter is very lucky and no wonder she loves it!! I'm glad that you were able to put the peridot to such good use

I find it hard to believe that it is only your 3rd pendant, you really have designed and executed it so well, despite the best attempts of the gremlins!!

Wishing your daughter every success at uni!!
    Thank you. It was a beautiful stone and needed a special home. Just paying it forward

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Feel free to keep on rambling Vos. The pendant is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing the next in your series of Lucky Charms.
    Me too! I'm always as surprised as everyone else
    All the gear and no idea

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

So, so Fab. Possibly a change needed to your signature. "All the gear and getting the idea" Lol

Stunning work. You are so clever, and clearly a natural at it.