Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chatelaine

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default Chatelaine

hi peeps,

apologies for the low profile - I have been a tad busy, and still so very tired and exhausted with this virus.

I was asked to make a Chatelaine for a customer and although I have limited skills, agreed that I would try it and go from there. A little sketch later and this was the intended result. The Fleur de Lis is in keeping with Victorian theme requested (there is one in Victoria's crown). There is a slight bit of curve to it, but wasn't sure how much to do - there is so very little out there. On the reverse is a solid folded piece that helps it to be tucked onto a skirt.

The Fleur de Lis has been done from one piece of silver sheet. The Jump rings, I lost count after 300... each one sawn from .7mm wire and soldered with pallions

Attachment 7308
    Attachment 7309
    Attachment 7310

customer wants it to be matt and looking worn - is it best then to tumble in some sand / grit?

Can't answer your question but just wanted to say that's beautiful! Way back when, when I did that silly little introduction to jewellery course during my fashion degree, we were asked to just come up with some more complex designs to show our creative capabilities. I settled on a chatelaine. I designed it in a very modern style with accessories that a girl might take to a night club. I was given a book on chatelaines by my tutor and it was fascinating.
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

thanks Tasha xx

Could have done with that book! lol Limited still though, regardless! lol

That's gorgeous Wallace and I love seeing the pictures of the design and how you made it.
    Jules

Wallace, try polishing it with a brass brush, this may give the effect your customer would like. I use my scratch brush unit fitted with a brass brush when polishing antiques after doing restoration work. For small jobs I use these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-ACL in my flex shaft drill.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    That's gorgeous Wallace and I love seeing the pictures of the design and how you made it.
    Thank you Jules
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Wallace, try polishing it with a brass brush, this may give the effect your customer would like. I use my scratch brush unit fitted with a brass brush when polishing antiques after doing restoration work. For small jobs I use these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-ACL in my flex shaft drill.

James
    Thanks James, advice is very appreciated. I do have one, but never used it.... Time to try it out.

Marvellous Fleur de Lys, Wallace. Will she provide her own keys and tools?

If you go the brass bush and soap route as recommended by James it will come up quite shiny, but can be modified by adding a little scouring powder or pumice. Alternatively circular motion with a tiny ball of wet and soapy wire wool might do it, or a combination of both.

I should like to see what finish you settle for in the end. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Marvellous Fleur de Lys, Wallace. Will she provide her own keys and tools?

If you go the brass bush and soap route as recommended by James it will come up quite shiny, but can be modified by adding a little scouring powder or pumice. Alternatively circular motion with a tiny ball of wet and soapy wire wool might do it, or a combination of both.

I should like to see what finish you settle for in the end. Regards, Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis. I did start rubbing with some pumice, nice matt finish started, just such a long task! Having already spent so long on it. Having made the chain, rather than buying it, took quite a time.

Her budget limited what was achieved, she may come back for some additions, but as it has the Albert clasps, attachments can be added abpnd changed to suit. It is going to America, to a Victoriana enthusiast as part of a costume. Will do my best to get a picture.
    Last edited by Wallace; 02-02-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Cool! I love something a bit different to the norm to make - I'd love to know the title of the book if you can remember Tasha!
    Wallace, I'd never thought of using pumice, would love to see it when you've done - fab! x

Looks great Wallace!
    I dont envy you making all those jump rings though!