Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn sterling silver to argentium

Default Turn sterling silver to argentium

I have sterling silver .. how can i make a argentium? Is just add fine silver till reach 93,5%? Or have some other process? Thank you in advance guys!

Argentium relies upon germanium in the alloy. It's available, but I've never tried melting it & alloying it - given the anti-tarnish action is mostly down to the formation of germanium oxide I suspect it's something that'll require a vacuum furnace to alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Argentium relies upon germanium in the alloy. It's available, but I've never tried melting it & alloying it - given the anti-tarnish action is mostly down to the formation of germanium oxide I suspect it's something that'll require a vacuum furnace to alloy.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

and about fine silver to sterling silver? is just add copper?

A basic sterling alloy is 92.5% fine silver, 7.5% copper - what exactly are you trying to do, given germanium is going to cause you problems?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    A basic sterling alloy is 92.5% fine silver, 7.5% copper - what exactly are you trying to do, given germanium is going to cause you problems?
    bond.. i bought a spooon to melt.. and it is soo contamitaded... when i heat the silver to anneling .. it create like mini bubbles ok the metal.. so i was thinking in add a fine silver ..how can i purify to be just a sterling? have some way? or no chance ... need bring into fine silver then remake everything? if so i will sell everything and buy argentium ... who looks much better in finish.

Honestly? It depends how you value your time. I'd scrap it and buy known good sheet. Are you sure it's silver and not plated?

yes im sure.. one another question.. if i buy .. the Argentium silver grain... it can eb melted and rolling to make wire and sheets like sterling silver? i know is silly question but due the composition... im asking to make sure. yes it is silver.

Absolutely I do it all the time.

Is the argentium really more white and beauty than sterling?
    Some tip to work with argentium China? That can prevent me to make a mistake? Thank you in advance!!

No, it's no more white than sterling. It's the tarnish resistance that's the key thing.
    Don't heat it to red heat unsupported; it tends to crack. It anneals at a lower temperature.
    https://www.riogrande.com/article?na...-Procedures-IS